? on Daisy corals

zoie2

I had a little piece of my daisy polyps break off (main colony is growing on a rock), they have attatched themselves to the back wall and are spreading. I have seen tanks that have the GSP growing on their back walls and I think it looks cool.
So, my ? is, has anyone done this and then regreted it? Is there a down side or something I'm not seeing in letting it spread on the back wall?
Any opinions or pictures are welcome!!
Thanks

1guydude

like most softies they do release a chemical for defense! Ive got pink daisys growing on my candycane SKELETON...which used to be a coral! LOL
Dont under estimate those lil guys!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoie2 http:///t/388333/on-daisy-corals#post_3424300
I had a little piece of my daisy polyps break off (main colony is growing on a rock), they have attatched themselves to the back wall and are spreading. I have seen tanks that have the GSP growing on their back walls and I think it looks cool.
So, my ? is, has anyone done this and then regreted it? Is there a down side or something I'm not seeing in letting it spread on the back wall?
Any opinions or pictures are welcome!!
Thanks
Sounds beautiful, can you get a picture?

zoie2

It's been forever since Ihave downloaded a photo here, but I'll try. Mine hasn't spread all that much yet, it is just starting too. That's why I posted the ?. It's so small now it would be easy to remove.
Here is a pic of the mother colony

Here is a pic of the new colony, you can see how it's spreading to the wall.

zoie2

I was thinking of letting it grow a bit more to the back wall, then cutting it and put the piece thats on the sand bed in my 6 gal. and leave what's on the wall on the wall. But I'm not sure if it's a good idea. So I was hoping to get some good advice here.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoie2 http:///t/388333/on-daisy-corals#post_3424314
I was thinking of letting it grow a bit more to the back wall, then cutting it and put the piece thats on the sand bed in my 6 gal. and leave what's on the wall on the wall. But I'm not sure if it's a good idea. So I was hoping to get some good advice here.
Oh..You called them daisy polyps, I was thinking flower pot coral or cloves. That looks like green star polyps to me. They spread wherever they touch. People have indeed been letting them grow on the back wall. I have mine on a flat rock and angled so it gets light, it's a really hardy coral, and they adapt and grow well under MHs to regular fish lights. If you decide you don't like the look, just peel them off the glass, they grow on a blue matt that come up easy.

zoie2

I bought them thinking they were GSP, but I was told they are actually daisy polyps.
Either way I really like them. So if I decide I don't want them on the back wall and peel them off, it won't kill them? Will they release any chemicals if I peel them off that may hurt my other corals?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoie2 http:///t/388333/on-daisy-corals#post_3424320
I bought them thinking they were GSP, but I was told they are actually daisy polyps.
Either way I really like them. So if I decide I don't want them on the back wall and peel them off, it won't kill them? Will they release any chemicals if I peel them off that may hurt my other corals?
Okay to make sure it is what I THINK it is...does it grow on a blue matt? When my GSP are closed I can see the matt it is growing on. If it is then it's quite safe to peel it off. I would run cabon just in case. But I never had an issue.
GSPs have the nub in the center

Daisy Polyps

zoie2

That's funny, I just looked for pics of daisy polyps and found GSP to flower pot coral and clove polyps, ALL listed as daisy polyps!
I use to have 2 types of GSP, one grew on a purple flesh, they had small arms, but you could see the bright center easy. The other grew on a white flesh, they had very long bright arms, but you couldn't even see the center. they grew on the same rock and would constantly grow over each other and the rock always changed it was cool. These do look like the purple flesh GSP I use to have.
The rock up on the left of the tank is where they both lived, you can see the white flesh opened first, the purple ones are just starting to open.

these are the white fleshed ones

1guydude

okay my bad i thought u were talking about the daisy polyps that flower posted! Those are indeed GSP! Never owned GSP!!!!

flower

I now have some pink (looks rusty color to me) star polyps, it's pretty new to the tank, but the look is very much like the white, you don't see a star in the center. Very nice pictures you have there. I will have to find me some white, that's pretty.

zoie2

I got the white fleshed ones as a 1" cutting for free from the LFS cause my fish didn't come in on time. The other I bought, but I like them both. The white fleshed one looks really pretty when the current hits it. the tips are so bright neon green, it's almost mesmerizing.
post a pic of the pink, I have never seen pink ones before. That sounds pretty cool.