? on fragging/ splitting whatever it's called

zoie2

I bought a rock with some nice orange zoos/polyps on it. It had some green one's too, but I liked the orange. I found out, soon after I got it home, that the orange ones open first and by 10:00am the green ones open and cover the orange ones so they can't be seen. Is there a way of getting the orange ones off the rock, then I can trade the green ones and keep the orange?
before the green open all the way

after the green take over

mopar9012

Is there a coupld of the orange ones that dont get covered? If so i would just get a small piece of rock, put it next to them and in a week or 2 they should be on that rock.

shinekjl

Be very careful if you are going to frag zoo's. The spit posion. If you have a pair of good bone cutters you could try to break the orange ones off, but do not do this out of the water.

bronco300

you frag out of water so that any toxins do NOT enter your water and make for more trouble if you are in the tank.....just take the rock out, get a chisel and hammer...close the zoos up before taking out, then put on the ground and wedge the chisel between the polyps , then hit it will it breaks...either that or put a rock right next to it and it will grow over.
WARNING:: MAKE SURE YOU WEAR GLOVES AND GOGGLES---they do have the possibility of shooting out toxins, and can be very harmful and possibly fatal...so be extremely careful.

hot883

Defiantely do it out of water. The button polyps (green ones) are not zoanthids so to speak. They are more territorial and mean. I would slice them off at the trunk and hope the orange zoas continue to grow. barry

zoie2

I learned my lesson about 'out of the water' last week. Those yellow polyps started to get out of control so I used tweezers to pull them off one rock. BAD mistake! I'm lucky I only lost one head on my frog spawn, it could have been alot worse!
Anyway, I have the rock perched on three other rocks, the problem is only the green ones have spread onto the other rocks.
Maybe I will split the rock, keep the half with the most orange and pluck off the green ones that are there. It seem a shame to kill the green ones though. They are nice looking, I just have so much green in my tank.
Anyway, thanks for the advise and suggestions, and warnings!!