??? On Purple Tang?????????

a&a2

thinking about getting a purple tang. Anyone have any advice???? I know somebody who is getting rid of one cause it is too bossy in the tank (it was the first fish in the tank)

hot883

Originally Posted by A&A2
thinking about getting a purple tang. Anyone have any advice???? I know somebody who is getting rid of one cause it is too bossy in the tank (it was the first fish in the tank)
They are very bossy IMO. Needs lots of room like 100+ gallons. Should not be the first fish in. Pretty much what you know already, but wanted you to know you are correct.

tnn1567

My purple tang was the second to last to be introduce in the tank. Then I added a powder blue and the purple tang is putting a whooping on the powder.

dirkdaplr

I have a purple in my tank (180 gal) I also have two other tangs and a navaculus as my larger fish. But like you know if you dont add it last or it is a significantly larger fish than those already in there then you will have trouble but if it is smaller or comparable in size than try it out if it is something you want. Another thing you could do in the future if you wanted to add more fish is take the tang out and qt him then add the new fish and after about a week after the other fish is acoustomed to the enviro you can put him back

a&a2

I have attached list. My 125 gal has been up for over 1 year now. Any advice would be so much appreciated!

seannmelly

I think my purple is pretty well mannered considering he is a purple tang. I added a hippo a little bigger then him a few months after the purple tang was introduced. Nothing much happened other then the usual quabbling. The hippo intagonized the purple so the hippo was asking for it. A week ago I added a sohal tang, and forget about it. For the first day the purple went crazy on him. How that quickly changed since the sohal is over 8". I think he would be fine to add, just make sure he is THE last fish. Because my purple also went after a royal gramma too.
Melly

acrylic51

They usually are bossy, and I would recommend quarantine as well....they can come down with the infamous "ick" looking at them the wrong way at times....

lion_crazz

I agree with Acrylic. Definitely territory, and definitely need a quarantine. They are very prone to ich, but more commnoly, head and lateral line erosion.

acrylic51

My last one of the 2 I have every time I would walk near the quarantine tank it seemed ick would pop up.....I thought it was me and starting sneaking to check him everyday.......

hatessushi

The ***** near me has 4 samll purple tangs for sale. They sure are in a small tank and they are really pretty. My next tank will have one I hope.

a&a2

Was going to QT it in my 20 gal tank and eventually move it to my 125 gal. Don't know if I can get it or not now.

seannmelly

My purple endoured HLLE at the store I worked at but recovered totally and started eating everything we put in his tank! Now he is awesome. Like I said he was a model citizen when I added my hippo tang but when I added the sohal he flipped out. He doesn't bother the hippo tang, and I am pretty sure we are trying to get rid of the sohal tang. I couldn't believe how well behaved he was after we added the hippo after him! As long as he is your last fish I think he should be fine.

fish1031

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
I agree with Acrylic. Definitely territory, and definitely need a quarantine. They are very prone to ich, but more commnoly, head and lateral line erosion.
my sailfin has head and lateral line erosion... what is it? and why do they get it?