??? on zoas / palys

maelv

About 2 weeks ago, I received some zoas / palys from an online retailer and someone here. My questions is most of them are still closed up, and I can't figure out why. It doesn't look like the zoas are dead, just still closed up. I gave it a week to see if they would open and most of them haven't.
I have sat around and looked...
...no, stared at them to see if I could see any worms or anything else that could be harrassing them, and did not see anything. I left them on the substrate for about a week before placing them on the rocks where they will reside. While on the substrate some opened up at first, but then closed back up and are still like that. My Acans, candy cane, and a couple of zoos are doing just fine though..and I received them all within a day or two of each other.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am not sure if high calcium & alkinity would contribute to this problem. Here are my tank parameters as of yesterday evening, because just did a 5 gallon water change about an hour ago (29 gallon display, 10 gallon sump/fuge):
SG: 1.024
Ammon: 0
Trites: 0
Trates: 20
PH: 8.0 - 8.2
Calcium: 510
Alk: 11.2 (dKh) or 4 (meq/L)
Temp: 82 degrees
250w Radium XM 20K bulb (about 3 - 4 months old)

perfectdark

Im guessing its your lights... these are low light corals and typcially the places you get them from wont waste MH lighting on low light species. So, light shock is not out of the question. Try moving them so they are not directly under the light but more hidden. And at the same time reduce your light schedule to help acclimate them to more intense lighting.
Unless your certain they came from tanks that had MH lighting.. then I am at a loss.

nietzsche

calcium is high. do you dose by any chance? its not the problem to your zoos but just wondering. alk isnt terribly high either; i keep mine at 9-10dKH
so you said you received the zoanthids in 1 day by shipping? it might be the lights, depending on what lighting they came from the previous owners. i do have zoanthids under a 250w mh at mid level and are doing great, but it could be a problem if they werent acclimated to the new lighting

maelv

Well, one set was from Bronco300, I believe he keeps his under MH...and I had other zoos from him that were under the same light in a previous tank and they did awesome. The other was from an online retailer that (quote from their site):
"Corals are grown under 20k Metal Halide. 2x 400 watt Ushio bulbs. Generally,
we do not use any actinics on our reeftanks."
And are a popular site.
I did fail to mention, lights come on at noon and go off at about 8-ish. During the morning, there is ambient light coming through some of the windows through the blinds so it isn't completely dark. I could cut back on lighting some more if I need to, but thought that 8 hours was enough.
I have not started dosing. I was going to purchase some B-Ionic this weekend prior to my testing the calcium and alkilinity.
I am also at a loss...