once a month deal

goober

about once a month my nitrates jump up and kill at least one pf my fish. I have a squirle fish, bicolor parrot fish, londnose hawk fish, white hermit crab, yellow tail damsal and two clouns. I have 5 ppounds l5 10 pounds ls a 46 boe. I aslo have some snails. I would like to know what causes this jump? I do once a month water changes

fishymissy

Sounds like you do a nitrate test, get a high reading, then do a water change. Is this right? If so, then do more water changes, like once a week and see your nitrate levels stay steady. You can also cut back on the amount being fed.
If you're doing the test after the water change, then Iceburg is right, you need to check the tapwater and find out if that is the problem.

iceburg98

also, if fishymissy is right and you get the spike, then do the change, and then you get ANOTHER spike a few weeks later, there might be something else going on in your tank than just the water you use...
What's in the tank? what equiptment do you have? what's your normal water change routine? Just trying to get as much info as i can - the more info you provide, the more help you'll get back...

jeff903

It sounds like you have too many fish for that size tank. I have the same one and have a flame angel, 2 clarkii clowns and 2 anemones along with some snails and a choc chip starfish and I thought I was pushin it.
[ November 09, 2001: Message edited by: Jeff903 ]

With that size tank, adding about 100lbs of LS would greatly reduce your nitrates, and some more LR would help
[ November 11, 2001: Message edited by: TheReefman52 ]

ozzfan84

There is a great product out there called TLC. It comes in like a 16oz bottle and its liquid bacteria. I put a capful for every ten gallons in my tank about once a month because i had a nitrate problem. It helps a lot!