One heck of an algae problem

sberto

Well, Im posting in the New Hobbyists part because I dont think I'll ever pass being a rookie at this. Anyhow, this will be a long read, but I need some help.

Ill start, 5 years ago (I know...), I started a 90g reef tank with a canister filter, lots of powerheads and current USA Marine PRO LED lights. For the most part, everything was going good....had a few clown fish, yellow tang (died about 6 months ago), some softies, an RBTA etc. My levels were excellent, no real issues with anything. Other than the occasional water change, the tank pretty much looked after itself.

Fast forward to about 4 months ago, I saw on the local buy and sell a tank shutdown. 90g tank with overflow and a 30g sump, some fish and live rock. So, knowing I wanted to add a sump to my tank, i figured this would be a great deal. Use the tank and sump and some of the liverock etc.

I purchased the system, and merged the two tanks together, used some of the live rock and sand. When I picked up the tank, the live rock had quite a bit of algae on them. So I tried to use only the rock that didn't have much algae on it. Started the tank up. Shortly after, my Current USA LED's crapped out, so I put the T5's on that came with the second tank (but I went and bought new bulbs first).

Anyways, since then, my tank has basically exploded with algae. The rocks are covered in green algae (I do not think its bryopsis, it is soft to the touch and does not give the look of a fern, but I could be wrong). The sand bed has a very light layer of cyano, but i also have lots of flow. Ive tried everything. I took each rock out, scrubbed it (almost) clean, put it back, continual water changes, I've tried adding a yellow tang but it died, it seems to come back even harder after I clean it off. I scraped the glass today, 2 hours later I can see a green film on the glass again. The weird thing, my refugium in the sump has no algae at all...cant even grow chaeto, it just disintegrates.

I have NO idea what to do. Are T5 lights prone to grow algae vs LED lights? Should I go out and buy the best LED's there are to offer?? Thats really the only hardware that is different in the tank (and different between my DT and sump). I use tap water with conditioner...I have always used tap water, as do most reefers in my area.

My levels are:

Specific Gravity 1.025
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Phosphate >0.25ppm
dKh 4.4
Ph 8

Thank you in advance!

silverado61

What type of lighting do you have in your sump? Do you have it on an opposite light schedule as your display? Do you have any critters in the tank now or is it fallow?

sberto

I have a LED strip light...cost about $20...nothing to special. it is working on a opposite schedule...though there is a few hours of overlap in the morning and at night to try and get more growth. ... I still have 9 fish (wrasse, 4 clowns, coral beauty, golby, bleny), sand sifting star fish, some snails, and hermits (somewhere).

I was reading about AlgaeFix? But IMO thats just a bandaid. I can't figure out what is actually causing this problem.

silverado61

What's your filtration setup in the sump? How long do you keep the tank lights on? How many power heads do you have going? Did you change the location of the tank to where it get's natural sunlight? How often and how much do you feed? Sorry about all the questions, I'm just doing a process of elimination in my head here before I offer anything up.

Last edited:

sberto

Dont worry about all the question, I understand...and am open to suggestions! My sump is pretty simple, water goes in, then to refugium, then to skimmer, then out (I am moving in a few months and going to be purchasing a larger sump btw...that if I dont throw everything in the garbage o_O). I have the return pump, maxspect gyre on pulse mode, and a Hydor Korilia in the other corner (its a bigger one I can't remember the GPH though). The thank hasn't move and gets very little natural light, if not any. I feed 1 cube of mysis shrimp every other day. And no, the canister is gone.

jay0705

Algae is nutrient driven, so there has to be something driving it. Unfortunately it could be something in the rock u got from the other tank

jay0705

Agree w lowering the lighting. You could try chemi pure or chemi pure blue. You r using r o water rt?

sberto

Maybe I'll only run off two bulbs instead of all 4? I added AlgeaFix today and threw a bag of PhosGuard in my sump to see if that helps.

I do not use RO water, I never have, and honestly, most people in our area dont on their tanks.

Last edited:

silverado61

Maybe I'll only run off two bulbs instead of all 4? I added AlgeaFix today and threw a bag of phosphoban in my sump to see if that helps.

I do not use RO water, I never have, and honestly, most people in our area dont on their tanks.
Two bulbs sounds like a plan.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Is your concern the cyano? Is it on your entire sandbed? Is this a reef tank? What is the reading for phosphate for the source water before and after mixing salt? Do you use supplements or additives?

sberto

Hey Beth, Im not too concerned with the cyano, more the green hair algae because it is producing at a ridiculously fast rate (I scraped my glass yesterday, and it needs to be done again today and it covers the rock very fast as well). That being said, the sand in the tank is mostly from the tank that I "inherited", possibly nutrients are leaching through the sand causing the light cyano coverage as well? Anyways, this is a reef tank. Phosphate level from the water source and the tank are about the same, right around 0.25ppm.

I supplement reef fusion 1 and reef fusion 2 and that is it. Thanks for your help.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I would try using bottled DI water and then think about switching to an rodi system down the line. Try it for a few mos, testing your bottled water to ensure it has zero phosphates. You're feeding the algae as it is now.

sberto

Yea, thats a good point, I'm sure adding phosphate during my water changes isn't helping. Ive been looking to invest in an RODI system but been pushing it off. Moving in a few months so was going to get it, along with new sand at that point. Any recommendations? I was looking at the BRS 6 stage...plus they ship to Canada so even better :-D

Very frustrating thats for sure...tank used to be spotless. :(

Last edited:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
used DI bottles from the store for a long time before I invested in an RODI. I'd suggest you'd start with the bottles. Going to be fun moving a reef tank. Did it once myself though without a hitch but the new location was just 15 mi away.