One heck of an algae problem

sberto

Yea I'll run to the grocery store and grab a couple bottles today and do 5 or 10g. Does it matter that I added AlgaeFix yesterday?

Ive moved this tank once before about 2 years ago...this next one will be the LAST time I move it. Its definitely a full day dedicated to just tank moving that is for sure. Putting new sand and I will be getting a new sump as well so that will make things a little bit easier hopefully. And the new location is close as well...I just hope it warms up by then.

Another question, should I still use water conditioner if I am buying the water from the store?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I would use DI water (distilled water). No nothing in it but water, supposedly. Some RO still have nitrates.

sberto

Well, I will see what the store has to offer and go from there. I think best case (from what i am reading) is that an RODI unit needs to be in my future. So, that being said, when I move I will make sure I have one ready to go so that way when I am making new water I can start off on the right foot.

That being said, I am considering leaving some of the live rock out of my tank when I move, and letting everything die off, algae included, bleaching it, and then slowly adding it back in. Has anyone done that before? Im guessing I will have to put the rocks in a side tank first to cure it and stop my tank from going through another cycle...does that make any sense or am i overcomplicating things.

2quills

Well, I will see what the store has to offer and go from there. I think best case (from what i am reading) is that an RODI unit needs to be in my future. So, that being said, when I move I will make sure I have one ready to go so that way when I am making new water I can start off on the right foot.

That being said, I am considering leaving some of the live rock out of my tank when I move, and letting everything die off, algae included, bleaching it, and then slowly adding it back in. Has anyone done that before? Im guessing I will have to put the rocks in a side tank first to cure it and stop my tank from going through another cycle...does that make any sense or am i overcomplicating things.
That might not be a bad idea.

Personally when I set up a tank I like to give the algae in my refugium time to establish and consume any nutrients that leach from the rocks before I run lights on the display tank.

Otherwise the hair algae will out compete anything else and the chaeto won't have a chance.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If you can cultivate coraline, in absence of feeding the other algae, it should be self resolving because the coraline will then start to take over. Store DI is pretty darn good. I used it for a long time before I went with a home RODI. Just initially test it to be sure that the brand is what it should be.

You may want to invest in a TDS Meter if you don't already have one.

Is this hair algae that you are having the problem with?

sberto

That might not be a bad idea.

Personally when I set up a tank I like to give the algae in my refugium time to establish and consume any nutrients that leach from the rocks before I run lights on the display tank.

Otherwise the hair algae will out compete anything else and the chaeto won't have a chance.
Thats a good idea...I'll do that for sure when setting up the new one...

If you can cultivate coraline, in absence of feeding the other algae, it should be self resolving because the coraline will then start to take over. Store DI is pretty darn good. I used it for a long time before I went with a home RODI. Just initially test it to be sure that the brand is what it should be.

You may want to invest in a TDS Meter if you don't already have one.

Is this hair algae that you are having the problem with?

Yea, the hair algae has taken over my tank for sure, its horrible.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Get one Mexican turbo snail (only 1). That should help mow down the algae while you get your water in order.

sberto

So apparently no one has mexican turbo's here....my choices are either Zebra Turbo's or Chestnut Turbos....any thoughts?