one man's trash. . . .

fuz_munky

Is another man's treasure!
Look at what almost got thrown away today!
today im gunna remove the water and substrate clean it out with some boiling water and put new water in. and lucky me i found some live sand in the fish closet! (yes i have a whole closet dedicated to fish)

i'm prolly just gunna get some ric's and zoo's in there. . . maybe a goby, not sure about fish in a 2.5 gal though

i dont think this lid will work out, am i right?

fuz_munky

i think I'm going to get a clip-on light fixture. The old one is rusting and doesnt have a ground prong. . . I don't feel like getting shocked if somthing stupid happens to it

clownfish11

ive got 2 of those same tanks that i had for my science fair....might start them up again, but it would take a bit of scrubbing...

fuz_munky

ok heres what I've got going ATM

the tank is set up
water density is 1.025
I'm going to get a new light tomorrow(recommendations?)
the fluval foam in the filter is temporary.I might buy a new filter unless the one i have is fine(can i get some help with this one too?)
now for the BIG WAIT. . . worst part of this hobby lol

rebelprettyboy

Do you not have another tank? If so id just get rid of that water and do a water change and take the water from my other tank and put it in there. ANd if u have a small piece of live rock u can put it in there since its already cured and u wont have to wait as long

K

kalied20

Originally Posted by fuz_munky
http:///forum/post/2586768
ok heres what I've got going ATM
the tank is set up
water density is 1.025
I'm going to get a new light tomorrow(recommendations?)
the fluval foam in the filter is temporary.I might buy a new filter unless the one i have is fine(can i get some help with this one too?)
now for the BIG WAIT. . . worst part of this hobby lol

Corallife has an 18 watts 50/50 Compact fixture that is perfect for that tank. I had one just like if for a while. It was cool. I had a couple of mushrooms, three different zoanthids with Sand and LR rumble. It was cool to have on my desk at work. I put a small cleaner shrimp in there but it was too big. Next I put a couple of hermit crabs and a small clown goby. it was working great for quite a while. I took it down when I changed jobs. and put everything in my 24 gallon at home. Good luck with yours.

keri

Heh....the day we have a garage sale is going to be an aquarist's dream lol....we've got a garage full of tanks and odds and ends

fuz_munky

kalied20,
i found the light you were on the corallife site and its perfect. . . there is a sixteen watt wich is 6 inches long and a 20 watt wich is 8. . . wich one would be better if i get the 20 watt ill have to cut out the side of the light fixture

fuz_munky

okie dokie. . . i found a 60 watt florescent bulb in the pantry. . . just wondering if that'd work. . . i doubt it will. . . but you never know
heres some pics!
FTS. . . dont mind the black spots in the sand those ar just bubbles, im to lazy to get at them

heres the light. . . it fits perfect in the fixture

waddaya think?

K

kalied20

Hey, Sorry I didn't get back to you. I would go with the 20 watt. You will get much better growth and color. You should be able to keep any softies with that light.

fuz_munky

what kind of fish could i put in there(if any). . . i was thinking a green or yellow clown goby
could it get a goby pistol shrimp combo to fit in there?

fuz_munky

well. . . i turns out that my dad doesn't want to spend money on such a small tank. . . sooooooo were gunna get a 14gal biocube next week with our extra tax return! so thats a double plus!
prepare for a new biocube diary within the next two weeks! YAY!

flricordia

Originally Posted by fuz_munky
http:///forum/post/2591345
well. . . i turns out that my dad doesn't want to spend money on such a small tank. . . sooooooo were gunna get a 14gal biocube next week with our extra tax return! so thats a double plus!
prepare for a new biocube diary within the next two weeks! YAY!
So now you know how to turn an old throw away into a nice set-up.
So when it comes time for a car, if yo don't have one already that is, find a peice of junk that doesn't run and tell your dad you want to fix it up and maybe he might get you a new one. Just a thought.
Wish my dad had been like that. If I had shown him that tank and told him I wanted to fix it up he would have put me to work to earn the money to buy what was needed for it.