One more eel question!

dmm0724

I just got a new zebra eel to my 110 tank. so far he is the only fish other than a damsel. The LFS had him eating silversides and mysis shrimp, which he eats well.
However i've heard that I should switch up his food more....also I've heard mixed reviews about silversides and the mysis shrimp break up too small for him to see sometimes.
I have a good seafood type store nearby but was wondering what to feed him?
I was thinking raw shrimp, formula 2, and oysters and mussels, just depending on whats available. Would this be a good diet for the eel? I also plan on adding a lionfish eventually, would this diet be good for the lion too?
What should I soak the food in, i have garlic guard but i've heard of vitamins too, if so what kind :notsure:
Also, how often/how much should I be feeding?
Thanks for the help!!

tripleshot

Skip the silversides feed the fresh shrimp uncooked with shell on. you can try oysters and mussels squid,krill. just offer as many different things for him to eat.

unleashed

i feed all my eels lions shark rays ect all the same foods. this food list varies at each feeding .as for how often when you fist get them you dont know how they were taken care of before hand so i suggest feeding daily for a couple months to make sure his health is at 100% if he wont eat daily dont worry about it.foods i use are;(all marine species foods)
silverslides, krill,shrimp,squid,fish fellets(cut into small bites)scallops.crab meat,mysis for small eels.. thaw and soak all foods in fresh water(this will kill any parisites that may be harbored in the meat and potentially spread to your fish such as tape worm ect) then rinsed well and soaked in a small amount of water with garlic extreme and selcon.sit for 5 min then feed.
i feed my eels every other day small amounts

ghiggi

My 8 year old, 35 inch Zebra eats every 7 - 10 days and will often go into a hibernation mode where he will go 3 - 4 weeks without eating, no matter how much food I offer him. I buy the seafood medley (shrimp, crab, mussels, squid, octopus) and raw shell-on shrimp, from my local grocery store. I divide it up and put alittle in each ziplock snack bag and freeze it. Before I feed it, I soak it in some Kent Zoe Marine additive. I feed the same thing to my Vol. Lion. I also put some in a blender and make frozen cubes that I feed the rest of my fish every now and then as a special treat.
How much to feed him depends on his size really. I always just feed mine until he won't take anymore. I've never had a problem with him overeating. When I first got him, he was 18 inches and would eat 3 - 4, 50 - 60 count (small-medium sized) shrimp. Now he eats 5 - 7, 30 - 40 count (medium-large sized) shrimp.
Hope that helps.