One more fish? What's your thoughts?

oompala

Well I do appreciate all your inputs. We got a little off track there I noticed, but, I will call the LFS today and let them know I will not be getting the Angel. Getting a larger tank is out of the question (for right now), my wife says we need the money for bills.
I will, however, continue to look for a larger tank for my current fish and hopefully I come across a good deal. I think I have some time before it possibly would become an issue, the Yellow and Regal Tangs are about 3" and the Vlamingi Tang is about 7".
I figured when I first saw the Angel at the LFS I probably shouldn't get it, but the price was really good ($20, I think someone traded it in). That is why I came in here and asked. Every once in a while you need someone to tell you "no". And with all the experience that is on this message board, I knew I would get different opinions but all just to help. Thanks.

cranberry

Sorry we got off track. Sometimes situations come up in threads that need to be addressed for the welfare of the fish, IMO.
Did we discuss your situation enough? It sounds like you came to a good decision. My friend just had to give away his Vlamingi that he grew from a little guy. It outgrew his 180g.
This was his when I was taking some pics of his tank one time. Great fish with lots of personality.

fishonly350g

Originally Posted by nicetry
http:///forum/post/3242204
Your tank is grossly overstocked. It's not the number of fish. You have to account for adult size, swimming needs and compatability. The regal and vlamingi tangs will not thrive in a 90. If you've ever seen a vlamingi in near adult size you would agree these fish are not suited to the vast majority of home aquariums. I would strongly advise against the Koran angel. This is another fish that grows large and as an adult would need a tank in excess of 200 gallons. A 90 is not a large tank so stock it with small/medium fish.
In my 120, I have a pair of clowns, a butterfly,a dwarf angel, two damsels, a small yellow tang and a ywg. It's full.
Alright.... I have a 350g tank. Currently I have a xl porcupine puffer, juv emperor angel, small niger trigger and large huma trigger. I know with a big tank you can add a lot of fish but knowing how big they will be in 5 years, how many should you add. I've got four and I want really 11 fish but they all will grow to be huge.
I've planned for:
Male and Female Sunset/banana wrasse (lutescens)
Clown trigger
Yellow Belly Hippo Tang
Mappa Puffer
Blonde Naso Tang
Volitan Lion
and MAYBE a Clown Tang (would make 12) b/c I think they look cool.
I care more about the fish and would be "OK" with one wrasse, the clown trigger, the hippo, mappa and volitan (makes 9 instead of 11 or 12) and say forget the 2nd wrasse, Naso and Clown. My tank has a lot of swim room at the top (SEE MY PICS IN MY PROFILE), its 30" tall and 8 foot long, 2 foot wide and I purposefully did not stack my ornaments up high or get a lot of live rock (----'s ugly). I'm going to add artificial corals down low (did you know Nature's image went under) but anyway, i am going to add more color but keep all that stuff low.
Any advice would be appreciated on how to figure the max number of fish for a tank my size. I care more about having a healthy community tank then having a whole lot of fish if you know what I mean, just want them to grow comfortably and i'm trying to think ahead before I make my purchases.
Thanks!