One more lighting oppinion

tankfinder

Are 2x250 10000k too much for the 2x96 watt pc to equalize color? What levels the tank off better, 96pc or 110vho? Would it be a better idea to go with 2x250 13000k with the pc or vho or 20000k? I believe the coral thive on lower k correct me if im wrong but will clams and sps do ok under say 13 or 20k? I have a 90 gal hex 5ft wide 2ft deep. The unit I will get will be 48". :thinking: thaanks in advance. pics would be apperiated

viper_930

I think the 10,000k bulbs would be too yellow, especially as they age. if your looking for a blue/white color. I'd go with 2x250 watt 13,000k with 2x110 watt VHO actinics. The corals and clams can still thrive under 13kk or 20kk, but just may not grow as fast because there's less photosynthetic available radiation (PAR), but they'll have better color.
By the way, are the halides single-ended or double-ended?

tankfinder

I was planning on single ended. Are the double ended that much better? do you recommend any lighting company's.thanks

db

I would agree that VHO will give you the best color. The Aqualine Bushke SE 10K bulbs are actually listed as 13K in color. These would be good bulbs to look into buying. It all depends on the brand of SE or DE as far as color goes. Certain brands can vary from ice white to a bit yellow. I think that Ushio and XM have pretty have pretty good 10K's that aren't too yellow.