One week old 2 1/2 Gal Reef

saltyvt

Here's my down sizing to a small, small tank. Love it so far need to buy some coarls now!! 6 blue legged hermits, 3 turbo snails 2 lbs of LR. 18 watts of PC 10k and actinic 03.

saltyvt

Any suggestions on better filteration?? I'm use to a larger tank with a protein skimmer, and sump tank, haven't mastered the nano tank just yet.

saltyvt

speak of the devil!! More or less a large sponge in the sand with a air tube at the base pushing air up up up!!! thats the non techincal name for it!

bojik

You might want more than a sponge filter. Though if you do enough water changes. Though, I run ,bassically, 2 ph+ sponges and a skimmer on a larger tank.

bojik

Originally Posted by rcdude1990
is that a bubble line u have in there???
i heard bad about bubble accessories in salt water tanks
I think thats partly because the air line (if just strait to the water instead of a stone on the end) tends to get salt creep into it. Same thing on bubble driven skimmers with a bubble driven water flow like whats on the lee's one. Had that minor issue. But easy to take care of with standard mait' cycles.

saltyvt

well I outsed the heater, looking for a different filteration method. Its been about two maybe three weeks and I have been doing regular 1-2 gal water changes. Everything in there seems to be happy, although i did find my coral banded shrimp with one of my hermit in his mouth........ but do you really think a skimmer and sump tank on such a small tank? I understand the need to double the water amount for filteration and what not, But I thought that the point of a nano tank was to be on a desktop?? I admit i don't like the bubble sponge method at all, can't see how it would work. haven't had much luck with bubble skimmers either! Now this tank is going to be corals only no fish at all.(soon) I already stated another 8 gal reef with a fish, so far. So would there be a hang filter or canister that would do an adiquit job??

bojik

Looks nice. For some added bio/mechainical filtration get a small preefilter sponge for the PH. Rinse it out weekly orso with chroinated tapwater when you do your water changes. After its cleaned dip it in lean water with declorniator in it. That will help control the bacteria farm and help remove some wastes. Keep in mind this is just an idea. There is likely another way or three out there.

bojik

IF no fish then you typically don't need as heavy of filtration.
Hope this lil guy works out well for you.

saltyvt

Okay, so I had to really search to resurrect this thread. I have been working on getting things moving in this tank. I have removed the trumpet coral and moved them to my 8 gallon, they are much happier there. I took have of the cabbage and placed it too into the 8 gallon. I have recently rearranged the rocks to better fit more coral. So now to go shopping......... :thinking: