online live rock

vikingdad

If I buy live rock online and dont pay for the overnight shipping what do I need to do with the rock if it arrives 4or5 days later? I am putting it into an uncycled empty tank. The only life I will have in the tank is live sand. Do I need to wash the rock or just put it in the tank? Alsl should i run my skimmer and filter? What about lighting off or on?
Any help on this would be great thanks in advance
Brian

27mtaylor

You may want to scrub it down when you get it to get all the dead stuff off of it. That will help it cure faster. I would leave the lights off so that the algae doesn't start to grow. When I have bought it online, it is usually a 2 day delivery, not 4 or 5, but you may have bought it from a different place than I did. Good luck!

volcom69

you should have no problem putting it in a uncycled tank, thats what i did and let the cycle with the rock in it. Yea i would leave the lights off or if u want them on dont run them all day and i would plug in ur skimmer and let it run.

schenkel

I have been in the hobby for about 1 yr. I started with a 15 and went to a 72 bow front. You sound like you are quite aways from a coast. If shipping is going to take that long go with reeferrock. It is wonderful stuff. It is dry dead rock from florida. You can get it for way cheaper. They will send you a picture of what they are going to ship you for your confermation. I gave them very specific instructions on what I wanted and got exactly what I wanted.
No die off
No bad hitch hikers
Exactly what you want
Perfect for a reef - tons of holes
No more water changes!!!

Good luck

saltwater8

Live rock may be used to cycle a new marine aquarium. Follow the manufacturer's directions on the installation of all filtration devices and accessories. Fill aquarium with water and add salt to achieve the desired specific gravity of 1.023-1.025. Activate all filtration equipment, check for leaks, and set heater and/or chiller to the desired temperature of 72-78°F.
1.Rinse each piece of live rock in a small bucket of saltwater to remove any loose organic matter, debris, or sand.
2.Place live rock into the aquarium to create a stable foundation for corals or decorations.
3.Keep the lighting system off during the cycling period in order to reduce the likelihood of undesirable algae growth.
4.Scrub the rocks periodically with a new nylon bristle brush or toothbrush to remove any white film or dead material.
5.Perform 50% water changes weekly while siphoning out any organic matter and loose debris that accumulates at the bottom of the aquarium.
6.Check the ammonia and nitrite levels in the aquarium weekly.
7.When both the ammonia and nitrite levels are zero, perform a 50% water change on the aquarium.
8.After 24 hours, check the pH of the water and adjust as needed to achieve the desired level of 8.1-8.4.
Depending on the equipment that is installed, most aquariums will cycle within 2-4 weeks using this technique.
:happyfish