Oooooo

michaeltx

Originally Posted by Kdocimo
http:///forum/post/2817194
This is whack... have to pay to post an item...
Not gonna use this site thats for sure.

That is not the way its going to work you can list an item for sale for free but at the sale of the item there is a 5% fee to saltwaterauctions.com
Here is a quote from the message at the top of this forum.
BTW its less than the current tax rate for most people we pay almost 10% if we buy anything so the 5% is less than you would pay in taxes on an item.
The listing of items is free. There are upcharges you can request at a nominal fee if you so desire for your listing. All sales will incur a 5% fee to www.saltwaterauctions.com .
Mike

kdocimo

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2817211
That is not the way its going to work you can list an item for sale for free but at the sale of the item there is a 5% fee to saltwaterauctions.com
Here is a quote from the message at the top of this forum.
BTW its less than the current tax rate for most people we pay almost 10% if we buy anything so the 5% is less than you would pay in taxes on an item.
Mike
Oh I understand now... but still you're gonna have to pay if you sell your item.
-- doesnt have a "tax rate" for selling items.

michaeltx

yeah there is no tax rate but its less than most pay in a tax rate buts only paid if and when the item sells.
Mike

nwdyr

Sorry to sound anti SWF.com but I would go to other sites that have MUCH larger viewers and pay LESS fees
seems like a no brainer. I hope they change this back , I will miss buying stuff from the people on this site!

kanima

I am one of the newer members here, I have bought some items from older members here, So I am going to give my thoughts on the auction site.
1. Port the user database over or approve current user names on here so the older and newer people will know who we are buying from. I am not going to buy anything from someone who doesn't have a decent sell history. Example I bought some awesome rics from Fldric , but i looked at his sell history and posts, past tank pictures etc etc.
2. Where do I ask if any has some cheato, I need some right now currently but I do not have an option to ask. Some people may have some but just not enough to auction , but enough to sell me for 10.00 and just pm me.
3. How Do I give something away ? Maybe I bought a hard to keep coral and it needs a new home ?
4. Where does the 5% fee go to ? What do members or buyers form SWF get for using the site ?
I simi understand the reasoning behind the move, But I also had hopes if I can ever get stuff to grow to be able to sell frags back to the community that has helped me so much. I am currently now at odds with that idea.

nw2salt08

+2 I agree with all of your questions as well. It was a very interesting and interacting event with other members on swf when we did it the other way. This system seems to be a good idea IF you want to auction it off but then again why not just use the other auction place for that as well. It was more personable to just use the classifieds here. I have a feeling there will be a lot of mixed reviews on this subject.

kevin34

+3. i also think they should put a link to the new site where the old threads used to be and have a "back to the boards" button or something in the site just to make it easier to go back and forth.

robertmathern

+1 on Kevins idea to have a link to the old posts. I just went to the site an registured but there is nothing to buy. Just a small handfull of frags and a RIO 800 Powerhead. And the powerhead looks like it is a store sellingit. Now I thought that was what they were trying to stop

It is a shame that they did this. I really liked the sellers on the other site. I guess I'll have to find somewhere else to buy and sell.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like a permanent feedback area added, so that members who have experienced transactions, good or bad, can post their comments.

michaeltx

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/2818093
I'd like a permanent feedback area added, so that members who have experienced transactions, good or bad, can post their comments.
its already part of the site but its called reputation.
I am assuming that this user is SWF.com since the user was the first and was posting test image posts.
Mike

corky

I always liked this site. Enough traffic but not too much.
I've seen many people come and go.
This site has changed very much over the years with most changes being for the good.
However, this last change seems to be more of a money driven change than one built on the basic roots of saltwater/reef keeping. Yes, I understand it takes money to run and maintain the site and it's owners are very much within their rights to charge what they want. It's the same principle that we run into from individual to individual who may be selling the same item. Some looking for profit charge as much as possible (hoping that someone with less experience will jump on the sale) while those that really enjoy the hobby and like to help out fellow hobbiests will offer the same item for just a nominal fee. (I've purchased and sold many items that can easily have been sold for more money)
Saltwaterfish has made a move and the question is raised, "What type of individual are they?"
Yes, like I said I realize it is a business- obviously there is a store as well as advertisers that bring in income.
But will this change attract more to the site or just the opposite?
Time will tell...

M

markeo99

I was wondering also the royal grama was from the same member I even searched the name on the boards shughes122 names not here so I wont touch the stuff do people have to use there usernames or is it optional cause they should have to have the username cause if i cant research I'm not buying

robertmathern

I dont remember when I signed up earlier. But I think they do ask your swf user name but it is not the same one on there if you dont want it to be. But like I said I dont remember. I used my user name.

robertmathern

Ok guys I just looked at the site again. Someone thats has something to sell please put in on there. There is still only 10 things from all day. And I dont think any bids. I liked the idea but dont think it is working out so good so far.