Oooooo

M

markeo99

he sold rainbow paly's so now your down two 3 left clownfish11
I seen um

kdocimo

Originally Posted by corky
http:///forum/post/2818200
I always liked this site. Enough traffic but not too much.
I've seen many people come and go.
This site has changed very much over the years with most changes being for the good.
However, this last change seems to be more of a money driven change than one built on the basic roots of saltwater/reef keeping. Yes, I understand it takes money to run and maintain the site and it's owners are very much within their rights to charge what they want. It's the same principle that we run into from individual to individual who may be selling the same item. Some looking for profit charge as much as possible (hoping that someone with less experience will jump on the sale) while those that really enjoy the hobby and like to help out fellow hobbiests will offer the same item for just a nominal fee. (I've purchased and sold many items that can easily have been sold for more money)
Saltwaterfish has made a move and the question is raised, "What type of individual are they?"
Yes, like I said I realize it is a business- obviously there is a store as well as advertisers that bring in income.
But will this change attract more to the site or just the opposite?
Time will tell...
+1.... well put

steelgluer

If I decide to sell on the site im putting my Big E seller name (no link just name so the buyer can look it up him/her self) on the things I sell so you can look at my feedback there which is 100 percent 788 things sold my email is the same as or here paypal Big E etc etc. I think that would be a good idea for some if they sold on there.

In order to view extra images you need to select the "View Larger Images". This is not good for slower PC's, slower ISP's, etc...

pop's

I'm new here, but my beef with the change is that if i want an auction i will go to an auction site. i liked the idea of a forum board where people with items they don't need they can post for sale to folks that can get some use out of them. but if i see something i need, i don't want to wait 10 days for an auction to end.

saltwaterfish.com

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by SteelGluer
http:///forum/post/2820236
If I decide to sell on the site im putting my Big E seller name (no link just name so the buyer can look it up him/her self) on the things I sell so you can look at my feedback there which is 100 percent 788 things sold my email is the same as or here paypal Big E etc etc. I think that would be a good idea for some if they sold on there.
So you have a business where you sell aquatic livestock and supplies?

steelgluer

Originally Posted by Saltwaterfish.com
http:///forum/post/2820508
So you have a business where you sell aquatic livestock and supplies?
No, I sell frags from my frag tank about every 3 months keeps my display tank going . HD Motorcycle leather and accessories. If you look ive sold 2 things on this board since 2005 1 was a used skimmer the other I didnt sell, so dont go there.

metweezer

Originally Posted by Don Lino
http:///forum/post/2820146
5% auction plus 3% paypal fee adds up to an 8% (tax fee)...

+1
I live in FL and the tax rate is only 6.5%. I also don't like the fact that I can't see if the seller has a reserve price on his listed item. I don't want to go through the bidding process on an unbidded on item only for a little icon to pop up saying that the reserve bid has not been met. If the seller has a minimum bid he will accept then let the buyer know before he/she places their bid. Or, at least, put a green button or some such symbol letting the bidder know that although he is looking at a potentially cheap item, that there is a reserve price on that item.

mscarpena

I liked the old, old saltwaterfish.com. The way I see it, they are trying to be two sites that they are not. They are trying to be a cross between reef central and e of the bay. It's a shame that they are trying to make a profit off of people buying, selling, and trading between hobbists. It's a free forum for a reason, or it was. That brings up another point how do you and can you still trade. It really is a shame. It's just too much of a hassle to have to mess with things like this anymore. Good luck to all who are or were going to sell. I have some corals that I was going to sell on here, but looks like they are going to my locals.

slick

It's just a way for them to make money. Look, they can say whatever they want about the old classifieds being used incorrectly or whatever, but they felt like they were missing out on their piece of the pie. I've been around here a long time, and part of the reason I very rarely visit anymore is because I don’t like the direction the site is headed. Notice they have still not said where the 5% tax is going?

quakstar

I personally come on here almost every day have only bought a few things from hobbiest on here but every day just always looked forward to coming on here to see what reefkprz and flricordia had up forsale. I just think by them setting up another site is just going to take people away from their own store. I say if you want an auction site go to the auction site there are 1000's of corals on there forsale with less fees

bill109

Originally Posted by Quakstar
http:///forum/post/2821820
I personally come on here almost every day have only bought a few things from hobbiest on here but every day just always looked forward to coming on here to see what reefkprz and flricordia had up forsale. I just think by them setting up another site is just going to take people away from their own store. I say if you want an auction site go to the auction site there are 1000's of corals on there forsale with less fees
+1
i think people would go to the big auction site if they wanted an auction on live goods..

quakstar

I think when it comes down to it what will really be affected is the ability for the hobbiest to exchange equipment at a value price. With the 5 % added on alot of people are going to raise their prices higher making it more and more tempting just to buy something new

mscarpena

I agree 100% with the last few posts. Also if they were so concerned about people being involved before they bought and sold things they would not have dropped to minimum post requirement. With the economy the way it is people are selling a lot of things. I know I am breaking down a tank right now and was looking forward to posting here what I could not sell localy, but I wont anymore. It really only has a small amount to do with the charge, it's the principle about them charging it and the whole registration process. I know if you added up 5% from everyone that sold things here it would probably be a substantial amount of money, but I think in the long run it will drive business away from SWF.com. I used to tell people to check this site out, but now theres another one thats already bigger that I will send my freinds to that does not charge you to sell things.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by mscarpena
http:///forum/post/2822509
I agree 100% with the last few posts. Also if they were so concerned about people being involved before they bought and sold things they would not have dropped to minimum post requirement. With the economy the way it is people are selling a lot of things. I know I am breaking down a tank right now and was looking forward to posting here what I could not sell localy, but I wont anymore. It really only has a small amount to do with the charge, it's the principle about them charging it and the whole registration process. I know if you added up 5% from everyone that sold things here it would probably be a substantial amount of money, but I think in the long run it will drive business away from SWF.com. I used to tell people to check this site out, but now theres another one thats already bigger that I will send my freinds to that does not charge you to sell things.
+1 to you.
The other famous bidding place has more traffic to potentially move my coral, so my chance of a higher profit margin is increased 10 fold. Now the “con” to more traffic is we the keepers don’t know who is buying our coral. Is this a real concern? For me it is since I have raised my coral from frags and little colonies I have bought from other people and shops. I would like to be able to know who bought them and if they are taking care of them. But push comes to shove I have to break down a tank for a new build the coral must go.
I can understand the move per say but its not going to increase sales for anyone really. More hobbyist are going to push back and go to other sites to move their frags.
SWF could have easily left well enough alone and kept the minimum post count needed for people who want to trade or sell. Anyone who appears to be a store or what ever could have been easily monitored.
When you start to look at the proverbial money pie certain people want a bigger slice.
Shame it used to be nice, but not so much anymore. Add $$$ to the mix and someone is bound to get greedy.