Open brain coral questions

mushroomss

I am thinking about getting a rather large open brain coral.I would like to know where to feed it.(pics would be awesome).ALso what you guys ouot there feed your brains.What type of lighting you have them under.Any other info would be greatyly appreciated.Thx in advance

michaeltx

I use a turkey baster and add some of the juice to the water beside the coral and it will start to open up sensing there is food in the area. then I slowly target it with the mysis in the turkey baster letting the food slowly come out so I dont freak the coral out and it closes. it will grab the food like an anemone does. I also feed small pieces of shrimp or squid if I have it on hand and it will take those to.
mike

michaeltx

the first pic is the way it is normally after I add the juices in it literally starts to open from the middle. Let me see if I can find the pic of it completely opened up.
Mike

michaeltx

ok here they are.
These pics are of one opening up to the extreme though most do not open this much LOL
Mike

topfins-mj

I'll try to post a picture, but mind does the same thing. The tentacles come out and you try to spray with a baster whatever food you like. I usually do Formula 1 with plankton, clams and Cyclopeeze. My open brian goes bananas. The do stay open for a while so make sure they do keep the food attached and that no hermit crab is going to steal it.
I also use a dry food called Reef Chilli. I mix it with the water and plankton or clams. I don't use mysis because I had huge nitrate problems with the frozen version.

S

saltyshogun

Here is a pic of my Cynarina, I was able to pick it up from a LFS pretty cheap because of a small dead spot. It is healing nicely and is one of the best corals that I have bought.

dlee

I put a couple formula one pellets on my open brain every other day. He gobbles it up in about 90 seconds.
Once in a while I will give him a small piece of shrimp. eraser head sized.