Open Brain

debbie

What are the chances of this Red Open Brain recovering??
Long story, I am just sick about this and trying to bring it back. Does the tissue usually grow back over the bare areas if this happens??
What about GSP touching it, any problems there??

nycbob

under proper condition, the tissue will grow back. the gsp can and will irritate the brain, so u might want to move the brain a little further away. any idea why the tissue on ur brain is receding?

debbie

Four months ago I sold everything in my 10 gal to some friends. I continplated keeping the brain but decided to let it go with everything else as I was downgrading to a 1 gal tank.
I decided to keep the GSP instead.
Last night the people that bought my stuff invited me over to see everything they got from me. I was horrified to see this beautiful brain that they bought from me in this condition.
Prior to the visit they have asked me about it saying it was not doing well. I told them they cannot have it in hard flow areas, I use to give it some feedings once a week and good water quality is a must for it.
Well as you can see none of this was done, they asked me if I wanted it back to try and save it. So due to the cost of them here (Canada) I took it back. But now my problem is this tank is only 1 gal in size.
It look 10x better in my little tank than it did in theirs last night. I know they are very lax on water changes hence the 3 major crashes they have had with the tank in the past few years.
The rest of the stuff is doing okay but mushrooms, leathers etc to me are so common and very easy to get, but that does not mean you cannot take care of them to the best of your ability.
The brain is kind of specail to me as I bought it out of town back in March, it was perfect, healthy and did very very well in my 10 gal when I had it.
Now in this little tank I have the GSP, one very tiny ricordia, mushrooms, feather duster, 3 small frags of zoa's.
What do I do or take out??
Sorry you ask about the history of it........

luca brasi

From my experience, they don't react well to higher nitrates. If the other owner was lax on WC's, that was probably the cause of the tissue recession. I would take care of it the same way you used to and keep the GSP from touching it too.

debbie

Thanks for the replies. I sure will give it my best shot, and I will move the GSP as well.

debbie

Well good news on the brain. I have only had it back in my tank for a very short time and I am soooo happy to say look at it now.
The people that had it don't want it back, I offered to pay them for it as they has bought it from me. They don't want anything for it but glad to see me save it. Yippee
I should have neve got rid of it in the first place, but glad to ahve it back.
First pic is of when I got it, and second pic is of it this morning.

debbie

You know I am so confused about gsp, some say that they sting things they touch and some say they do not......

mr_x

i don't know about stinging, or just touching the coral to the point of stressing it to death, but any coral that is touching the gsp shrivels and/or bleaches out.

jbird0420

Glad to hear about the good news!!

Originally Posted by Debbie
http:///forum/post/2738183
Well good news on the brain. I have only had it back in my tank for a very short time and I am soooo happy to say look at it now.
The people that had it don't want it back, I offered to pay them for it as they has bought it from me. They don't want anything for it but glad to see me save it. Yippee
I should have neve got rid of it in the first place, but glad to ahve it back.
First pic is of when I got it, and second pic is of it this morning.

nycbob

yes, gsp will smother other corals or harass them to death by constantly rubbing against them.