open sore on fish

mess88

My blue face angle got scratched some time ago. I have tryed many thing but the sore get bigger and the fungus get bigger. Right now she in a 20 gallon qt tank .I have tetracycline in the tank. 4 days of the tetracycline and it looks the same . I have bought more meds. I got kanamycin,triple sulfa and neomycin. I hopeing the tetracycline helps. I was wondering if there some thing better to use or if i should use one of the other drugs i have. Any help be great.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
It may be head and lateral line erosion. Take a look at the examples in the Diseased Fish thread at the top of this forum, and, if you can post a picture, put one up for us.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by mess88
My blue face angle got scratched some time ago. I have tryed many thing but the sore get bigger and the fungus get bigger. Right now she in a 20 gallon qt tank .I have tetracycline in the tank. 4 days of the tetracycline and it looks the same . I have bought more meds. I got kanamycin,triple sulfa and neomycin. I hopeing the tetracycline helps. I was wondering if there some thing better to use or if i should use one of the other drugs i have. Any help be great.
Have you tried to boost the fishes immune system so she can help heal herself? All of those meds over a long period of time are stressful to the fish. They seem not to be helping. What are your water parameters for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, SG, and temp? What do you feed this fish? Do you run carbon on the tank?

mess88

I tryed everything almost . The water is ok. it in a qt tank. The display tanks water was great and the sore just keeps getting bigger in bigger. I tryed no med with perfect water and it keeps on growing. IT IS NOT THE WATER. IT NOT THE FOOD. I'm going to try to get a pic.

mess88

Here's a pic of her. I'm looking for someone who know what would treat this sore. this sore may have started from a bite. when i got her, she was being pick on by a sohal tang. Need to know best med for this . I;m also putting tetracycline in her food . any help on what med would help would be great. no carbon in tank when meds are in

sepulatian

That is lymphocystis. The cure for it is not medication. Please tell us what exactly you feed him and what the exact water parameters of you QT tank are. List ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, SG, and temp. Lymphocystis is treated by boosting the fish's immune system so he can simpy fight it off. Please look in the Common Treatments FAQ at the top of the disease and Treatment message board for details on Lymphocystis and its treatments.

sepulatian

looks like no help for this fish than. water good and she feed good food.
Lymph is completely treatable. Do you add vitamines and fresh garlic to the food? How much of a variety do you offer? Think of this as a bad cold. You have to raise her immune system for her to fight it off.

mess88

ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 10
ph 8.6-8.7
temp 81
food angle formula clams and garlic all mix together
really don't no what to do anymore.

sepulatian

Ok, your water is fine. You just have to vary the diet a little more and pick up some vitamines. For foods, go with Julian Sprugs sea veggies, formulas 1&2, ect. The formula foods are fine, select another one or two and rotate that with what you are alread feeding. For vitamines, pick up up some vitachem, selcon, and zoe. Soak the foods in a different vitamine for each feeding along with the garlic. I know it sounds like alot, but it realy is not.

mess88

i will go get that and give it a try. thanks for the help . i will go the extra mile to save the fish.

sepulatian

i will go get that and give it a try. thanks for the help . i will go the extra mile to save the fish.
I am glad to hear that. Lymph is realy not that hard to treat and the fish usually bounce back just fine from it. Good luck to you. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask

sepulatian

so should i do a water change and put carbon in.
It would be a good idea to do a water change. Wait on the carbon.

mess88

went to Lfs today talk to the owner. He told me to put formaldehyde in the water. and put neomycin in the water too. So my plan is to start the formaldehyde now and some stress coat. (the formaldehyde should stop it from growing anymore) Now tonite i'm going to try to pull off some of the lymph. after i pull some of the lymph off her i'm going to put a couple of drops on its sore (bio bandage) . Than in a couple of day i'm going to put neomycin in tank. I got a couple more foods and i;m going to mix about 5 foods together and put fresh garlic and vitachem in it. and other ideas would be great. They were not sure if the fish will make it. She eat really well so i guess thats one good thing.

nigerbang

formaldehyde??? I hope someone else chimes in on this to correct me...but dont they enbalm(sp) dead bodies with that to keep them from rotting....Dont sound good for fish tanks...

sepulatian

Originally Posted by NigerBang
formaldehyde??? I hope someone else chimes in on this to correct me...but dont they enbalm(sp) dead bodies with that to keep them from rotting....Dont sound good for fish tanks...
Actually, formaldehyde is often used. It is the key ingredient in formalin, which is used to treat brooklynella. It is not supposed to be used directly in a tank but as a dip or bath.

sepulatian

went to Lfs today talk to the owner. He told me to put formaldehyde in the water. and put neomycin in the water too. So my plan is to start the formaldehyde now and some stress coat. (the formaldehyde should stop it from growing anymore) Now tonite i'm going to try to pull off some of the lymph. after i pull some of the lymph off her i'm going to put a couple of drops on its sore (bio bandage) . Than in a couple of day i'm going to put neomycin in tank. I got a couple more foods and i;m going to mix about 5 foods together and put fresh garlic and vitachem in it. and other ideas would be great. They were not sure if the fish will make it. She eat really well so i guess thats one good thing.
Lymph is rarely fatal. I would advise you to not add all of those medications to the QT. Lymphocystis is a viral infection, it is not a bacterial or fungal infection.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, either you want to make a BIG mistake, and follow many other hobbyists who have made big mistakes by taking the advise of the LFS, OR, you can work to effectively treat this fish.
It is lympocyctis. The first thing to do is address the diet, and add zoecon to 1 meaty meal daily. Try doing some research on this fish, and its dietary needs, then addressing those needs.
May we use your picture as the worst case of lympho at SWF?
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/show...73&postcount=7

nicetry

Originally Posted by Beth
Ok, either you want to make a BIG mistake, and follow many other hobbyists who have made big mistakes by taking the advise of the LFS, OR, you can work to effectively treat this fish.
It is lympocyctis. The first thing to do is address the diet, and add zoecon to 1 meaty meal. Try doing some research on this fish, and its dietary needs, then addressing those needs.
May we use your picture as the worst case of lympho at SWF?
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/show...73&postcount=7
I'm reading this thread and looking at the picture, which if it is lymph is the absolute worst case I've ever seen, particularly on the body of a fish. It's mostly on the fins and clears up in short order with good water and diet. Given that the fish had a wound or sore, i'm wondering if there is something else going on that is preventing the fish from healing. Mess88, don't try to remove any of the growth. You might injure the fish and further compromise it. I would not use formaldehyde on this condition. Can you post a couple more pics, perhaps cloer shots and is there any redness surrounding the white growth? IMO, this is not just a bad case of lymph, but a nother pic or two might help. :thinking: