open sore on fish

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen pictures of lymph as bad as this, but not here at SWF. The fins and edges of the body are eroding away which is a clear sign of malnutrition or bad environment. The fish is in pretty bad shape and may well not make it. I'd begin with small water changes daily for a week using aged, well mixed water. Feeding 3 times a day with quality foods (keeping in mind the specific dietary needs of this fish), adding algae sheets to the diet as well. At least one meaty meal with the food soaked in zoecon. You may want to consider making your own food. There is advise on this in the FAQ Thread at the top of this forum.
If the hobbyist has a well-established QT, then there may be some other options to try as well, but I wouldn't move this fish to a makeshift quarantine. Adding medications to the display is like flushing your tank down the toilet. To save 1 fish, you risk destroying your entire system.
Following the advise above will hopefully start producing results within a week.

saltn00b

wow i had no idea lymph ever got this bad?! listen to beth , she knows what she speaks of, and has saved many hundreds if not thousands of fish from certain death from her postings, some of which were mine.
Keep in mind that people at LFS 9 times out of 10 , will tell you what you want to hear to sell that new product or new fish.

pikapp168

Originally Posted by mess88
My blue face angle got scratched some time ago. I have tryed many thing but the sore get bigger and the fungus get bigger. Right now she in a 20 gallon qt tank .I have tetracycline in the tank. 4 days of the tetracycline and it looks the same . I have bought more meds. I got kanamycin,triple sulfa and neomycin. I hopeing the tetracycline helps. I was wondering if there some thing better to use or if i should use one of the other drugs i have. Any help be great.
try life gaurd...it works pretty well.

mess88

well got every kind of food out there now. Going to start feeding her alot of food with vitachem and zoecon. Maybe i'm feeding her to little. I'm going to do 25 % water change daily with aged water and also keep putting in formalin every other day. I would really love to save this fish. Really not sure if i should try to pull off any of the stuff. going to wait on that for now.

sepulatian

well got every kind of food out there now. Going to start feeding her alot of food with vitachem and zoecon. Maybe i'm feeding her to little. I'm going to do 25 % water change daily with aged water and also keep putting in formalin every other day. I would really love to save this fish. Really not sure if i should try to pull off any of the stuff. going to wait on that for now.
I agree with your plan except the use of formalin. That is to be used as a bath or a dip. It is not for fish to be in constantly.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Don't do a 25% water change. Change out 1 gal every day. This is the best way, I've found, to do water changes. Even if you don't want to do this long term, do it now for 2 wks.

mess88

The only thing i can figure is that she was under fed. If you look at my pic you can kind of figure her size. How much food should i feed her. i was feeding her about a i cube a day (fed her twice a day about half cube a feeding ,cube from angle formula or clam) I now thinking three cube a day. So now i'm feeding her . angle formula.and formula 1 and 2 ,spirulina formula,trigger formula ,clams seaworm supreme, pro -v vegetables and mysis shimp and seaweed select( red green brown ) just put inch bye inch sheet in once a day. Other wise i'm mixing food together with fresh garlic vitachem and zoecon. Hopeful this works because the water was always good. Here a pic of it tank mate . maybe he stress her out. She was never bit by the trigger . she seem more scared of people then the other fish. (there only to of use here so very little traffic) Hopeful a better and bigger diet do the trick . thanks all

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Try smaller meals 3 times a day. Add a small piece of algae sheets on a lettuce clip, in addition to the feedings. Make 1 meal meaty and add zoecon to the food. Let us know how she does over the next few wks.

mess88

one more thing i was treating for eye flukes when i notice the lymph started. I was using prazipro. Save her eye (her eye was bad for about a mouth. Now she had this for about a mouth. Hopeful i save her.Not sure if the prazipro had anything to do with it?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I found this pretty severe example of lymph on a website. Poor fish.

nicetry

Originally Posted by Beth
I have added information on lymphocystis to the FAQ Thread.
Here
Good info. Thanks for the update.

mess88

From what I hear angles get lymphocystis easyer than other fish. Mine still eating so i guess that one good thing.

nicetry

From what I hear angles get lymphocystis easyer than other fish. Mine still eating so i guess that one good thing.
Yup. Angels tangs and butterflies are paticularly prone to it.
My blueface had a mild case when I purchased it. Cleared up in a couple weeks. You see it mostly on newly imported fish.

sepulatian

Angels, Tangs, and Butterflies are most prone mostly because their diet is neglected. These are all fish that need natural algae in their diet. And are many other things that come natural in the ocean that they eat that simply are not coverd by conventional fish food. There is a special Angel formula, plus all three of these fish need natural mature LR to graze on. These are not fish that can be sustained on pellets, flakes, and mysis (just an example).