operation more wattage

vibe

hey guys. i just want to share my latest project with you guys. i have no experience with building my own stuff for saltwater tanks. but in the following pics, you will see how i am going to "attempt"mount a 28 watt PC light onto an eclips hood. keep in mind there is already 40 watts of fluorescence over the tank. im just adding this for a little bit more of a boost. the 28 will soon be converted to a 36 or a 40 watt lamp. heres a run down:
i am using:
- 28 watt coralife aqualight PC fixture(previously owned by me).
specific parts im using:
-ballast
-lamp
-reflector
-front part of outer casing
-a piece of the back outer casing.
tools:
-hack saw
-tape measure
-hot glue gun with glue sticks
-permanent marker
-pencil
-paper
-my brain and common sense
to start off, heres the plans that i drew. now remember im only 18 and my plan drawing skills arent that sharp, but i think my three years of drafting class helped me out:

vibe

i changed the plan a little. i am mounting the ballast outside, sort of overhanging on the back. heres the area it will be mounted on:

vibe

here the ballast after i got done screwing it down and hot glueing the switch and fuse down:

vibe

actually i did glue down the switch in that pic. heres the finished project waiting to be mounted:

spoon

I love DIY'ers. :happy:
When I made my MH Pendant I was REALLY excited. I made countless trips to the hardware store for that one. Keep us updated, looks great so far.

squidd

Good job Vibe...Well thought out, nice plan...and Yes,sometimes there are "last minute" adjustments...
Spoon, You want to talk "multiple trips" to the HDWR store...?
How about PLUMBING...3 X "T"s, 4 X 90s,2 X ball valves....
OOPs...need glue,cleaner and another 90...
OOPs...need 2 X 45s,a coupler, and a 3/4 adaptor...
OOPs...need another legnth of pipe,a 2 more "T"s and some teflon tape...
OOPs...wrong adaptor,need a reducer,a coupler, no make that two,no make that three and another legnth of flex hose...
OOPs...Aww the heck with it..."Give me 10 of everything...and I'll bring back what I don't use"...
OOPs..."I need 2 more".......
:D

dburr

I could not get the mision impossible theme out of my head...:notsure:
Good luck with it.:yes:

vibe

thanks all. ive been busy with school. (only one more day then 4 days of exams). after that im mounting it. its ina box ready to go. ill post pics when i do. thanx for all the support. and yes this is really fun stuff. i havent been real crafty in awhile. there were no "OOP's" for me. i planned ahead. drew it out. then made sure i had all the tools. my dads a contractor/ general construction and home improvment expert, so we have one of every tool there is lol. (accept for the hack saw which i borrowed)
. thanx again all.