Ophiura...or anyone else that may have a clue.

celacanthr

I saw 2 brittle stars, that I would like to know about.
1)Central disk is 1/2 an inch (or less) (kinda hard to tell from pic). the legs are really long, I would say 1 1/2- 2 1/2". It is a Blueberry lollipop blue. I know that is kind of a wierd way to describe it, but that is the closest color, that I think comes too it. The owners of them, says that they have had them for several months, with no sign of color change or growth. They also have 5 legs. Oh, and they were collected in Florida, I think probably the Florida Keys, but I am not positive on the keys part.
2)The brittle star is about 1/8th of an inch. But its arms are at least 1 1/2 inches, probably closer to 2. They are black, but you can see a small bit of stripeing, but it may just be the pic. Anyways, they say that these guys will burrow into the sand, and extend there arms out of the sand, but at night they come out of the sand, to "forage the surface of the sand bed as well as finding morsels just below the surface."
I am sorry, that i couldn't be of more assistance, but I don't wanna take their pics, and the pics are located on a commercial site.

celacanthr

Well, anything really. genus, species, anything particularly special about them. why I should/shouldn't have them. Anything you can gimme.

sw65galma

Well i'm no Ophiura, but what i've learned about brittles are...there are 3 types....ones that'll eat fish, ones that dont and filter feeders.
Really all you got to know is if they are a fish killer or not...
As far as i know the greens are the only ones...
So from there, there isn't that much you need to know..
besides feed them what you'd feed any brittle.

celacanthr

I think of myself as rather informed about Brittle Stars, and I understand the basics. But I always enjoy Knowing the Genus and species of what I own. Or for what kind of reason it may have evolved the blue color for.

wax32

Email me where I can look at those pictures, would you? ... wax32<NOSPAM>@zooxanthellae.com
Take out the nospam obviously

sw65galma

Originally Posted by CELACANTHr
I think of myself as rather informed about Brittle Stars, and I understand the basics. But I always enjoy Knowing the Genus and species of what I own. Or for what kind of reason it may have evolved the blue color for.

Ahh now that makes more sense...I thought you knew the basics lol

wax32

Type my emailaddress in your email client, don't try to do it through this site, they have it disabled.

ophiura

WheN I hear that a brittlestar is blue (and I think that both are brittlestars?), I think Ophiothrix. This genus is found around Florida...Ophiothrix angulata is a likely candidate, depending on any patterns on the arms.
Ophiothrix variabilis is not a bad guess at all on the second