Ophiura...what do you think?

spmnarciso

Any linkia starfish in a 240G tank, with 250+lbs. of LR?
Tank is about 13 Months old, 60G sump, 150G refugium. This setup is fairly new however, just moved from the 150G to the 240G. Used same water, and same LR.
What do you think? My LFS has had about 3--- 6" blues in a tank for quite some time now (6 months+) and they look healthy?

spmnarciso

Originally posted by joker_ca
Im sorry but is that your tank? for you aviator if so post a bigger pic looks really good

That's my old tank...all that was placed in my new tank. Do a search on my username and check out the thread on my "new setup".
I will posting some new and improved pictures of the tank soon.
Thanks

ophiura

Assuming your water quality is good, especially specific gravity (1.025-1.026 or so), I would say give it a go! Rare to find one's doing so well for so long at an LFS...they must be a quality place?

spmnarciso

Originally posted by ophiura
Assuming your water quality is good, especially specific gravity (1.025-1.026 or so), I would say give it a go! Rare to find one's doing so well for so long at an LFS...they must be a quality place?

Thanks, this LFS has tanks filled to the brim with rock. As for the Linkia...are there any fish, crabs, other starfish that may bother it?

ophiura

Natural predators would include triggers, puffers and larger wrasses...which I am assuming would not be in a reef tank (which I was assuming). Large species of angels and possibly butterflies could be drawn to nipping at the tube feet of the star. Larger crabs and hermits, also not typical in a reef, would pose a thread...but typical reef crabs and hermits should not. The general risk with other stars would be competition...this is from adding another Linckia. In general, with blues, I would only recommend one. They can reproduce readily if conditions are favorable (arm drops) so I generally suggest they be allowed to determine if conditions are OK. You might be able to add additional things like orange, burgandy or purple Linckia - but they will all compete for food so I wouldn't overdo it. That is a tough call to make, personally...
Otherwise, in a typical reef I don't see to many other issues with them. It seems to me you've done your research on these Linckia's - at least enough to know that your LFS is doing something right (and they are unusual in keeping them, I think!). Be sure to look for the parasitic Thyca that may burrow into the arms. Look for any usual lumps or things - including on the underside of the star.

spmnarciso

Originally posted by ophiura
Be sure to look for the parasitic Thyca
that may burrow into the arms. Look for any usual lumps or things - including on the underside of the star.

I read that touching these critters is not advised, so how would I check the underside?
Also do you recommend getting a blue versus the other colors? Once again from what I have read...they are harder to keep; in other words, the others tend to be aliitme more tolerable.
Thanks for the info.

ophiura

Blue Linckia are relatively more difficult, but they are also relatively larger. So if you had a 100g tank, I would say it is marginal. But this is a big tank, with a lot of LR...so I am not as concerned. And you have an advantage because you have access to blues that are not in transport...they are acclimated to your LFS conditions so they only have one jump to make to your system. Acclimation will still be important, but in typical situations, the seastars are being moved from the wild to a wholesaler to an LFS often in a short amount of time...and this is very stressful.
Apart from acclimation troubles, I don't think you would have too many problems with any other species of Linckia either. There are no guarantees, but your system provides just about as much as possible in a hobbyists system. So I don't see a major reason, in this case, not to try a blue. You have a far better chance than most.
As far as not touching them...well, this is somewhat of an old wive's tale, as is not exposing them to air. While these should be minimized, it is not what is killing Linckia, IMO. It is probably easiest for the LFS person to pick the animal up with a plastic bag, if there is any concern with touching it. They can then place it against the glass, or you can observe it while in the bag.

ophiura

:D
I am assuming that you've read up on acclimation. It would also help to know what specific gravity they are in at the LFS. The only thing that I could think of, everything else being accounted for, would be some parameter that may stabilize over the next few months in the "new" tank. Even though you've basically moved it, their might still be some balancing going on...but really this is about as much as I could think of in trying to come up with a "don't do it now" answer. Otherwise, I think your in a good position.