Ophuira! Another Starfish Question?

smoney

Hey Ophuira, I have a bunch of those tiny astrea stars in my tank and I love them. I have seen like two that are like an inch big! I was wondering if they are reef safe and good for the tank????
Also, I was looking into getting an actual starfish, I have a brittle star, but I was looking into a red linkia or a marble star, possibly a blue linkia? I figure if my system is good enough to hold all those tiny stars, it may be able to support a bigger better one?
Let me know, I really appreciate your advice.
Stats: 50 gallon tank, 10 gallon refuge, 192 PC watts, been running for almost two years.

reefreak29

the astrea stars are benificial to your reef also , u have enough live rock but i would try a red linkia over a blue there a little easier

ophiura

They are asterina stars
and they are generally fine, 99% of the time.
IMO, your tank is not suitable for either a blue Linkia or Fromia.
Both of these need much larger tanks with much more LR. Don't let the small size of the Fromia fool you. Both of these, IMO, are quite likely to die in the tank of starvation in about a year. Not for sure, certainly, but a darn good chance. I would be very hesitant, personally.
In order to really get an idea of how "hardy" they are, it is important to ask people if they have had the animal at least 18 months. Most people with success have much larger systems.
Your tank is probably suitable for Linckia multiflora. Perhaps an orange Linckia but possibly marginal.
Though we often aim for the 100+ lbs mark on LR for other Linckia and Fromia, it is actually to try and estimate a certain surface area. This amount packed into a small tank, or particularly dense pieces, do not help the star I am afraid.
What are your specific water parameters?

smoney

I just was thinking since it could hold astrenia stars it would be able to support the linkia. Because I heard they eat some unknown stuff off the rock so I just assumed I had it. I actually just recently moved my rock around and kind of built it upward, so there is alot of surface area, it isnt just clumped together rock. I'll check my water parameters and let you know though.

ophiura

Asterina is far more hardy than a Linckia. THink about body size. If you are eating microscopic organisms, it takes A LOT to do so. It is easier for an Asterina than a Linckia. Consider all the Asterina as possible competition as well.
But there is the very high possibility that they do not even eat the same foods.
Really there is no comparison, IMO between ability to keep Asterina and then the ability to keep a Linckia.

smoney

Yeah, I wont put any stars in the tank for right now, I'll wait for a bigger set-up, thanks ophiura!