Ophuria, Tiny Brittle Stars????

Ophuria, I have at least 10-20 of these tiny (middle body is the size of this o) stars in my tank. I have never had stars, they must have come in with my LR. I'm wondering if these are babies and will grow to be big or are there brittle stars that stay this small. They are completely white and some have smooth looking legs and others have spines all over. They are really really cool to see crawling around on the rocks, but I don't have the space for full sized stars (12 gallon nano reef). They are too small for our digital camera to get a pic.
Thanks,
:) NewBe

I have literally HUNDREDS of mini brittlestars in my reef. I put 6 of them in a long time ago and they must have been happily multiplying since then. Not sure about the ones you have, but I was told that these mini brittlestars will stay tiny forever. They are smaller than a dime in total diameter and have the same shape as the big brittlestars. I've been hoping that they will not multiply themselves out of resources and that this many of them will not be disruptive to my mature DSB. Ophiura is the expert though, so I'll be interested in what she has to say about yours.
P.S. I tried a pic with the digital camera as well and they are either too small, or it is user error :eek: . I'm not as skilled as, say, RYEBREAD at snapping good pics! Someday.........:D

ophiura

Darn obligations and all.... :D ;)
Anyway, these little guys are quite common, and are full grown at the size you are seeing them at. They are a species of Amphipholis, and I believe it is Amphipholis squamata, one of the most common animals on the planet. They are self fertilizing hermaphrodites and will multiply nicely. They do no need any additional care...they will come and go in blooms according to nutrient availability. And nearly everyone has them (though most aren't quite observant enough :) )
Good find!