Opinion Needed PLEASE

perfectdark

I am looking to upgrade the lighting on my BioCube. I know there are various sites that sell a higher watt PC upgrade and then there is the MH avenue. Im not really wanting to go MH because for what the lights are going to cost... ehhh its just a cube tank. But I do want what I have to grow more, have more intense light and possibly get some higher light requiring corals. No where have I seen any one retrofit a T5-HO light set up yet. Maybe I will be the first, I stumbled upon a Nova Extreme 18" 2 bulb strip, HO-t5 although it has one, it is a parabolic reflector. The bulbs are 20watts ea and I was going to get 2 sets. So, 4 bulbs with 2 parabolic reflectors, 80 total watts of T5-HO lighting. They will sit about an 1" or so lower than the stock ones sit now. Tank height is 20", an 1-1/2" sand bed makes that 18-1/2 and the lights will be flush to the top of the tank.
Any thoughts on how that will improve on what I already have? Which is the stock cube lighting std PC, @ 36 watts x2 for a total of 72 watts.
From what I have reasearched I believe this will be far superior from what I have, but I just wanted to get some feed back...
Thanks.

trippkid

I think that is what I would do, go with the T5's, you can keep anything with them, very comparable to MH PAR values, I think that would be the way to go or MH(is more costly than T5's in the long run).
Matt

perfectdark

Originally Posted by trippkid
I think that is what I would do, go with the T5's, you can keep anything with them, very comparable to MH PAR values, I think that would be the way to go or MH(is more costly than T5's in the long run).
Matt

Thanks... yea btw these 2 set ups are only $55 ea... so for $110 I too think thats the way to go....
Anyone else?

peef

I will say for the money, why not? T5's are excellant and will definetly broaden your horizons. If you got the MH you would most likly need a chiller in the long run. If you go to nano tuners site they have a TON of upgrade options for the cubes. Some expensive some not. But all are an improvement.

trippkid

Yeah that is a good deal, later you could take apart and add individual reflectors if you wanted to do a DIY canopy for it. I have seen awesome SPS only tanks lit only with T5's so I think you'll be very surprised at how bright those little things are.

Matt

perfectdark

Originally Posted by trippkid
Yeah that is a good deal, later you could take apart and add individual reflectors if you wanted to do a DIY canopy for it. I have seen awesome SPS only tanks lit only with T5's so I think you'll be very surprised at how bright those little things are.

Matt

Sweet... I have the new Nova Sundial for my 36gal bow, but its not set up yet. I am still picking out my LR and getting my stand situated.

paintballer768

They way you would have it set up, I think this would definitely be better than what you have now. Youve done almost everything to make sure the light goes where you want it, and if I were you, I would go with that option for sure. Would save you a ton of money too.

K

kat74

I'm glad that you posted this thread because I am also looking to upgrade the lighting on my Biocube too and have been looking at nanotuners. I don't want MH's because I'm pretty happy with keeping mostly softies. I don't want any upgrade where I will lose my hood because I am very concerned about fish jumping and with my tank being at work and me not being there during the night, who knows what could happen. Also, I don't want to have to worry about getting a chiller. I called nanotuners and spoke with a guy named Kyle who quoted me the following as a standard PC upgrade:
1 50/50
2 actinic
1 10k daylight
He said that there were "5 blues and 3 whites".... whatever that means?
and that they would be built into a hood to fit my Biocube. He quoted me a price of $356.90 for it.
I just want an upgrade where what I have will be happier.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by KAT74
I'm glad that you posted this thread because I am also looking to upgrade the lighting on my Biocube too and have been looking at nanotuners. I don't want MH's because I'm pretty happy with keeping mostly softies. I don't want any upgrade where I will lose my hood because I am very concerned about fish jumping and with my tank being at work and me not being there during the night, who knows what could happen. Also, I don't want to have to worry about getting a chiller. I called nanotuners and spoke with a guy named Kyle who quoted me the following as a standard PC upgrade:
1 50/50
2 actinic
1 10k daylight
He said that there were "5 blues and 3 whites".... whatever that means?
and that they would be built into a hood to fit my Biocube. He quoted me a price of $356.90 for it.
I just want an upgrade where what I have will be happier.

Yea I dont mind losing the hood. I can get a couple of pieces of Plexiglass cut for a top in front and in back of the lights. Or do the same with egg crate, my issue is the cost for upgrading using MH or the nanocustoms stuff is a lot of $$ for a little tank. I love my cube and all but I have plans for other tanks and I dont want to spend a whole lot on this one.

dstoneburg

Perfectdark you inspire me. I noticed the Dr's. were selling them for $50.00 each. I have a 21g with a 96watt quad PC lighting pendat and I think im going to upgrade to these, what do you think?

bgrimm

I read of someone moding a desk lamp with a 70w MH in it. I'll PM you the link if you'd like. The total amount was around 130.

K

kat74

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
Yea I dont mind losing the hood. I can get a couple of pieces of Plexiglass cut for a top in front and in back of the lights. Or do the same with egg crate, my issue is the cost for upgrading using MH or the nanocustoms stuff is a lot of $$ for a little tank. I love my cube and all but I have plans for other tanks and I dont want to spend a whole lot on this one.
What you say is very true. Unfortunately, this is my only tank and probably the biggest that I can keep comfortably here at work. I don't have a tank at home because I'm usually not there very much except late at night. Whenever you do your upgrade, posts pics because I would love to see what you do with it and see if it's doable by me.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by dstoneburg
Perfectdark you inspire me. I noticed the Dr's. were selling them for $50.00 each. I have a 21g with a 96watt quad PC lighting pendat and I think im going to upgrade to these, what do you think?
Thank you,
And I think you will be very satisfied and it will work well for you...

perfectdark

Originally Posted by bgrimm
I read of someone moding a desk lamp with a 70w MH in it. I'll PM you the link if you'd like. The total amount was around 130.

Thanks but Im not interested in the MH route... but feel free to anyone that wants to know.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by KAT74
What you say is very true. Unfortunately, this is my only tank and probably the biggest that I can keep comfortably here at work. I don't have a tank at home because I'm usually not there very much except late at night. Whenever you do your upgrade, posts pics because I would love to see what you do with it and see if it's doable by me.

Ahhhh I see, well my cube tank is at my house but isnt going to stay here. Once my 36gal bow front is up and running I too am bringing my cube tank to my work and putting it into my office.