Opinions Needed

dmill15

I was on the beach here the other day and noticed ALOT of broken up sand dollar pieces. I was thinking about getting some of them and boiling them and then using them epoxying them together to make some cool cliffs and caves. I would like to hear your opinions on this.
Thanks,
Dave

krishj39

You can do that, there is no reason that would harm your tank, if you did a good job at cleaning them and then getting the bleach out. It's just a matter of if you like the way it looks.

dmill15

Thanks Krish. There wouldnt be any bleach in them though they are coming right off of the beach. There are some really big pieces too. It should look really cool whin it is finished.

lionstorm

yeah don't bleach but definately boil. If you want them white you can try leaving them out in the sun and letting them naturally bleach out, I did that with some I got from Panama City Beach, Florida.
If your tank has a lot of algae they may change colors though, I boiled some dead pieces of hard coral and put them in my tank and within a month they were covered in algae.
Good luck though, I hope it works out nicely for you :)

benj2112

Sounds fine to me.
I second what Lionstorm said. They will get covered in algae, so hopefully you aren't going for just the white color.

dmill15

It doesn't matter if they get covered in algea I just wanted something pourus to add to my tank to mabey act like live rock. I will boil them for 15 min and then use epoxy and build a cave or something. i will post pics when I finish it. Thanks for the posts.
Dave