Opinions on Plenum's

wamp

If you go slow and do your homework, you will have great sucess. It takes a while to get the hang of it but once you do, it's all easy after that.

jarre

I'll agree with the slow part. It's really easy to want to hurry the process and have a really great looking system NOW. Been there and done that.
I'm doing much more planning with these two new tanks and will take much more time before introducing livestock. I've had nothing but difficulties with my 45 and it's all from a startup before the initial cycle was complete. Or at least, that's my opinion from what I've read on how to fix the problems.
Of course, there is nothing like the experience of setting one up incorrectly to teach! Just said for the animals!

eng50

Gregzbobo, shed a little light (no pun intended) on why your tank crashed after "several months" shouldn't all of the major startup problems have come and gone by then? Just curious as a new guy...
Thanks!

saltyh20

Thanks for answering my question on plenums, although like every other beginner I have more questions. My question is: I have a 55 gal tank. When I set my tank up (6 months ago) I was told to use crushed coral as my substrate, I have a good 2-3 inches throughout my tank. I was recently encouraged to add some sand (about another 2 inches) to the bed which I have now. Is this a good Idea (because of bacteria and little crustaceans that have living in my bed now) and how should I do this since my tank is running and full of water? thanks again!

gregzbobo

I haven't the foggiest idea why it crashed out. Was running fun for several months, I was doing my water changes and topping off like a good aquariust should, then everything started to die off. My ph was testing out at about 8.2, no ammonia, no nitrites, and practically no nitrates. I assume my alk was good since my ph was good, I had no test kit for alk. Even the coralllne on the live rock died out. Total mystery to me. I kept the rock, to use for base rock and threw a few pieces of it in the sump to replace most of the bioballs.

gregzbobo

I just had a thought on maybe why my tank crashed. I recently replaced the pump on the tank with a Little Giant pump, the pump I replaced wasa Quiet One. Well reason i replaced that pump was because it had developed some sort of internal leak and salt-creep had blown the rear seal out ever so slightly, letting saltwater come in contact with metal it shouldn't be coming in contact with. Think that may be it? Thing also was a major heater of tank water, new Little Giant pump has the pump part separated from the motor by a short space, so should not heat the water very much, if at all. Got a good deal on it too. 55 bucks straight from the factory here in town.

wamp

saltyH20
If it were me, I would remove the CC and go with all sand. The only problem with CC is it's tendency to trap detrius and promote a build up of nitrates if not properly maintained. In other words Vacuming it.
When you add sand, wich you don't vacum, to CC your just asking for more buildup. Not to mention, the sadn will eventually work to the bottom and you'll have a big layer of CC on top.
OR, leave the CC alone and do your normal maintance. There is nothing wrong with it. It will not cause any problems if cleaned reguarly. It does require more maintance than a sand bed but will still work as a substrate. It just has no denitrifaction properties to it..

saltyh20

Wamp thanks for the comments. The only question I have is how do I switch the CC with LS while my fish are still in the tank? I don't want to disturb my bacteria or anything. Should I introduce the sand slowly? should I hook a smaller tank up to mu larger tank for a little while before make the switch? Thanks again!!!