Opinions on small tank...

zj4play

Ok, so I almost purchased the 180 gallon tank last night but then realized that since I live on the second floor of an apartment 2,000+ pounds would not be a good idea. But I can't get having a fish tank out of my mind. So, I want to get a small 24-30 gallon tank. I would like to buy something that has what I need as a package, but there are so many to chose from. Any of you guys out there have any ideas? NanoCube? Aquapod? Biocube? etc...

larryndana

bigger the better, using any that you listed will have a top....which means little to no topoffs. Some have to topoff daily in regular tanks. i have a 24aquapod, its great i enjoy it. i have seen a 29 gallon i don't remember who makes it and i think there is one bigger. These tanks usually come with everything you need, at first.

zj4play

When you say regular tank you just mean a plain tank and stand...then buy everything else on the side? Is that a better way to go? I have a friend that can sell me all his used stuff (pump, power heads, protein skimmer). If I go this route, do I set up a sump?
This forum is so cool!

aztec reef

Originally Posted by zj4play
When you say regular tank you just mean a plain tank and stand...then buy everything else on the side? Is that a better way to go? I have a friend that can sell me all his used stuff (pump, power heads, protein skimmer). If I go this route, do I set up a sump?
This forum is so cool!
imo, packages don't come with good enuf equipmet. i like to research and choose my own equipmet and provide the best possible enviroment for animals to thrive!! :happyfish

zj4play

Thanks for the idea Aztec, by the way...what does imo stand for? I am just looking to set up a nice little reef tank till I have the room to upgrade to a bigger one down the road.

zj4play

Thanks reeforbrains. Buy the way (BTW), I like your picture, I am building a 502 cubic inch motor for my truck (but thats a different web site)

larryndana

Originally Posted by Aztec Reef
imo, packages don't come with good enuf equipmet. i like to research and choose my own equipmet and provide the best possible enviroment for animals to thrive!! :happyfish
Good enough equipment? What do they not come with which make it a bad environment for animals to thrive?
What equipment do you need to achive this that you can't get for one?

jaynano

i have a 24 gal aquapod i love it i do top offs everyother day and it has just about everything u need.

sfoister

I'll be running a 72 gallon bowfront on a 3rd floor apt. Weighs less than a waterbed and people still have those.

walmart

your apt could support the tank. but will be a bare to transport if you move. go for a 55 gallon. its a good size.

zj4play

Thanks for all the input guys...I just looked at a 29 gallon Oceanic Systems BioCube at the local store. It has everything for a starter and they had one there that was hooked up with an extra filter. It was really nice and the price was great. I think I might go that way for a while until I get the hang of it then upgrade the size later. I am not too interested in the hard corals so the stock lighting system should be good enought for me. For the moment

aztec reef

Originally Posted by larryndana
Good enough equipment? What do they not come with which make it a bad environment for animals to thrive?
What equipment do you need to achive this that you can't get for one?
what do you call good lighting? it's not about being good or bad. but eventually you'll end up upgrading the eqipment which does not make sense when you can star good from the get go. but if you're a beginer and looking for a fast set up then go ahead.imo i would never buy this packeges unless it was a present for my 12yr old nephew and it's ment to be a fish only tank.

zj4play

That is very true...and I do have a problem upgrading everything that I buy. But the setup is not too much money and since I am a newbie, my mistakes will be on a smaller, cheaper scale. When I figure out how all this works, I dont mind spending morefor bigger better stuff.
Thanks for all the input guys...