Opinions on TruVu Aquasystems Tanks for a Reef

perchpsk

Anyone use these or have an opinion on using one for a reef? I have been out of the hobby for a few years and am just getting back into it. I'm looking to start another reef tank and considering one of these as an option. Anyone not familiar with this product, it is an acrylic tank that has an internal wet/dry filtration system built in with room for a heater, skimmer, UV etc.. also built into the back of the tank.
I'd appreciate any info from anyone who has owned one.

acrylic51

Personally never owned 1, but don't see any benefit more limiting issue with built in filtration.....It has been noted for quite some time that they skimp on material thickness on their tanks.....Not a highly sought after tank because of that factor.

perchpsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/390351/opinions-on-truvu-aquasystems-tanks-for-a-reef#post_3456283
Personally never owned 1, but don't see any benefit more limiting issue with built in filtration.....It has been noted for quite some time that they skimp on material thickness on their tanks.....Not a highly sought after tank because of that factor.
I would use the built in filtration as a start. There is room to add skimmers and the like in the overflow compartment, and you can always hang a canister filter on there as well if you wanted more filtration.

acrylic51

I question what quality skimmer are you planning on "stuffing" in the overflow? The whole idea of an overflow/sump is ease of maintenance, and with stuff jammed behind the tank IMHO doesn't qualify as ease of maintenance. Just as a canister filter is added expense up front and down the road.
Also the mere fact their tanks are built to minimum specs when it comes to quality built acrylic tanks is another factor I raise. I brought that point up in my first post and you didn't acknowledge that point. That has always been an issue with them and some others.
Not trying to persuade your decisions, but for the money a cleaner; more efficient system can be bought or put together will better performance IMHO.

perchpsk

Is there a brand / manufacturer you would recommend for reef ready tanks? I had a Tenecor in the past, but I know they went out of bidness,

acrylic51

Really depends what you want to spend and how involved of a tank are you looking for.....
There are tons of manufacturers, just really depends what your after....Acrylic or glass.......