Opinions please

vezina345

I have a decent size tank ( 240g 8x2x2 ) and am considering getting an angelfish. I've never really looked at them too much until a friend of mine said one would look good in my tank. Since then I have found a few I like but don't know anything about them, other than what the books say.
I want suggestions that you may have based on your experiences with them,then once I get some suggestions I'll elaborate on my set-up.I will say this, I have a fairly aggressive tank and will need one that will reach at least 10 inches.
Thanks in advance.

120reefer

LoL, no problem, a lot of the species of full sized angels do reach over 10 inches in length when fully mature. When you say fairly agressive, what exactly do you have already.. full livestock, including parameters?

vezina345

I would like some personal opinions on some of the larger species out there first. I have not yet decided if I am going to add another fish to my tank yet.
If I did one of my main concerns is that if I did I would need one that will not get eaten by my stonefish. She has already eaten two wrasses that were about 5 inches and a grouper that was almost 8.
From what I've read about angels is that on a level playing field they can hold their own with almost any other aquarium species. So aggression level should not be that much of a factor.
I'm looking for personal exeriences on them based on looks, maintenance, and personality.
Once I have gotten some input then I'll elaborate in my setup . I'm still fairly new to saltwater, I have a total of 6 tanks but most are cichlid tanks so I'm not yet brave enough to post my SW setup yet.

120reefer

Originally Posted by vezina345
Once I have gotten some input then I'll elaborate in my setup . I'm still fairly new to saltwater, I have a total of 6 tanks but most are cichlid tanks so I'm not yet brave enough to post my SW setup yet.
OK no problem, the only reason why I asked was for compatability or bioload issues. With a stone large enough to eat an 8 inch grouper though
it might be tough to find. Although many angels DO in fact hold their own on a level playing field, this isn't very level. It's like saying a 3 inch damsel vs. a 8 inch volitan.... although the damsels are an agressive little fish and can definately hold their own... they won't stand a chance, just like your stonefish and i would say an angel in the 6-9inch range.. but really hard to tell w/out size of the stone or other fish
As for personal opinions.... a large queen or imperetor may do well in a tank that size given proper treatment/filtration/parameters/tankmates/ect...

120reefer

by the way.... i used to do fresh water too
had a 75 gal filled with dempsey's and green terrors. Man was it fun to watch at feeding time
Then i got rid of that and got a single 8inch fire oscar, and a 9 inch alligator garr... also very cool but they quickly outgrew the tank... so i got the 120 i have now for them.... but i decided to go salt again so those two are now in my buddies 125, and the demp's and terrors are in his 55gal

vezina345

Very cool, I had a long nosed gar at one point. It now resides in a friends pond.
here's what I have in the tank:
1 stonefish 10"
1 redsea sailfin tang 4"
1 clown trigger 4"
1 niger trigger 4"
1 picasso 2-3"
1 emporer snapper 7" ( grew really fast !)
1 jeweled moray 18"
1 frimbriated moray 15"
1 america eel 15"
1 foxface 4"
1 black volitan lionfish 7"
The above measurements are approx.
They are in a 240 ( 8'x2'x2' ) with 2-3"LS bed and about 200lbs of LR, LR is increasing by about 6lbs a week.
as I stated, it's kind of an aggressive tank. Makes my cichlids look passive.

aw2eod

Your tank is already overstocked...by some fish that arent even compatible and that will ultimately whipe out half your tank.
Adding a large Angel is only going to cause serious problems.

vezina345

I know that some of my fish aren't supposed to be compatable but so far no problems. So far it's been a fairly quiet tank ( although I would not be surprised if 1 decided to take control of the tank ). Also haven't had any water/waste issues. Just was looking for possible ideas.
As I said earlier I have not committed to anything as far as adding to the tank but really wanted some opinions. So any input in welcome.

ophiura

Originally Posted by vezina345
I know that some of my fish aren't supposed to be compatable but so far no problems. So far it's been a fairly quiet tank ( although I would not be surprised if 1 decided to take control of the tank ). Also haven't had any water/waste issues. Just was looking for possible ideas.
As I said earlier I have not committed to anything as far as adding to the tank but really wanted some opinions. So any input in welcome.
What I think is important to take to heart is that these fish are small and young. They are not full grown, and it is important to consider adult size of fish. You are only really beginning, for example, with that snapper. These fish get large. As most of them grow up (eg clown trigger especially) they will become less and less tolerant of other fish. Meaning, stress, fighting, and possible disease or loss. Even though your water quality may be fine, people are looking down the road, which is very important to do.
I agree that unless you remove some of your livestock, adding another large fish is a mistake.

vezina345

Thats why I was looking for guidance, I have always been a fan of large fish in aquariums. I have experience with aquariums but this is my first SW and I generally don't make any decisions w/o first trying to consult with people with more knowledge. Most of my input has been from some friends in the hobby and some limited input from lfs ( I have found most of that to be $ oriented advise ).
Sounds like I will keep the neighborhood as is. Thanks again for the advise and for not jumping down my throat for my choice in fish.

aw2eod

We really like people like you, vezina345. Alot of times, someone such as yourself will come here looking for help. When we give the advice, like what we gave you, instead of the person listening to us, it turns into a "Well, I'm gonna do it anyway! You guys dont know what you're talking about!", etc.
We really do try to look out for the well being of the fish and guide you as best we can. You've been great! Kudos, to you!
My two biggest concerns with your tank are the Clown Trigger and the Fimbriated Moray...although, I'm more worried about the Moray.
They are ferocious, down right crazy, killing machines. Once yours gets larger (they'll max out around 32" - 36"), you're gonna start seeing alot of your fish either disapearing or you're gonna find them all torn up and shredded.
Also...the Stonefish. Is this a true Stonefish or is it a species of Scorpion?

vezina345

The stone fish is the true stonefish ( synanceia verrucosa ) I did research it first prior to buying it. I know I'm nuts for buying her ( I call it a her but have not lifted her tail to take a look. ) but she's the center piece of my tank.
If she was more active then I would be more worried about working in the tank but I am very careful and make sure that I know where she is at all times.
About the eel I never was able to find any literature on that species other than prices so that one I did go into blindly. My jeweled is actually alot more aggressive but mainly at feeding time. The fimbriated stays in a rock pile on one side of the tank away from the others.
My rocks are divided into 4 seperate groups to help keep everyone seperated.

dual45s

I have yet to do a saltwater tank, so I can't offer any solid advice, but I would love to see a picture (or few) of your tank, it sounds pretty fantastic.

vezina345

I don't yet have the means to send any pics. Plus I would want to wait until I have it set up the way that I want. I still want to add at least 50lbs of rock. I did add 10lbs more today already.

aw2eod

I was just asking about the Stonefish because I want one, but havent been able to find one (local or online site)...not a true Stonefish anyway.

vezina345

Mine is the only one that I have actually seen. I don't think too many places will carry them due to the fact that they are soo venomous.
If you are able to find one they are really cool fish. Mine just chills on the bottom blending in, but about once a day she'll swim around for about 5 minutes and that is worth the price right there. Also watching them eat is amazing!
If you do get one use every precaution that you can because regular scorpionfish anti-venom doesn't usually work for these guys. I keep a print out of the first aid steps next to my phone just in case of an accident.

cougar

IMO you are overstocked also, however to answer your question, I have both a Koran and a Grey, in seperate tanks. The Koran is beautiful and adds a lot of color. The Grey has a great pattern to it, but other fish in the tank needs color. The Grey is by far more active, even with lights out and lunars on he swims all the time. The Grey is more aggressive so he is in my large aggressive tank and the Koran is in my reef tank. With your current stock, if you were to get one it would have to be the Grey.