opinions please

azonic

I was talking to a guy in my lfs, he didn't work there, just some guy looking around. Our conversation ended up getting to the topic of live rock. He asked if I planned to put any live rock in my new tank im building, I told him I planned on around 35 pounds(38 gallon tank). He said that instead of buying all rock that I should buy a base rock from any lfs and then put live rock on top of it. He said it would save me a lot of money, which is would because live rock is $11 a pound(CANADIAN), and the rock from pet stores is only $2-$3 per pound.
I was wondering if it would be beneficial to do this or is it better to spend the extra couple hundred dollars? The money is no object, I didnt get into building a saltwater tank because it's easy on the wallet, just wondering if anyone has any opinions on this?
Thanks

m1rodrig

I agree with him.The base rock eventually will have bacteria grow on it & with time will turn into live rock as different organisms and creatures will live there

twoods71

Using base rock is fine IMO. Many people have used a combo of base and live rock, myself included, and have had great success.
If money is no object to you however why not just go with all live rock?

azonic

twoods: the money isn't an option but saving that money would get me a couple nice looking corals a month or two down the road :D
btw, Happy Birthday! :)

m1rodrig

I agree with anthem in trying to get the same kind of looking base rock as the live rock as this will
look better.Just give your tank time and patience and it will grow.

azonic

I think I'm probably going to get something that looks as close to the live rock as possible. If I can't find anything I'll buy all live rock instead of having two different types of rock in the tank, that would look a little odd I think.
In addition, would 35 pounds be enough for a 38 gallon tank? Can anyone show me a picture of a similar sized tank with that amount of rock in it? Just curious as to what it looks like.

drkegel

anthem, congrats on becoming a shark.
Again, I'm in agreement with you. But, it's a choice to make. Like Azonic said, you could use the money to buy other things.
Over time, the "dead" base rock will become "live" and will be just as good a bio-filter. It may take years though....
The beauty of this hobby, it's your tank, you get to choose!

azonic

Originally posted by anthem:
<strong>
What I was saying about the porosity/dense part. Yes, the 'live' aspect of it may change in terms of what grows on it over time. However, the density of the rock doesn't change over time. The denser rock will do some biological filtration with the bacteria attached to the surface, but the more porous(indo pacific) rock acts as a much better biological filter. . . This doesn't change over time. . .
Ed</strong><hr></blockquote>
That might as well be written in german because I would have understood it just as much :)
Are you saying that if I bought a base rock that I should get a denser rock or a more porous rock?

m1rodrig

Can't this porous rock be purchased dead?Same rock just no life no bacteria or growth on it?If it is available is their not any price difference that would make it worth it?

m1rodrig

O.K. gotcha indo pacific rock is more porous than local stuff,even though it does not carry the life
of the local stuff or colors,it is better shaped and has better surface for biological filtration purposes.It will eventually turn as good looking as the other stuff.What about Fiji rock which i've
seen at the lfs will this also be a desirable rock for filtration.It is lite and has very nice shapes.

azonic

would 35 pounds be enough for a 38 gallon tank? Can anyone show me a picture of a similar sized tank with that amount of rock in it? Just curious as to what it looks like.

drkegel

I gotcha anthem. Density doesn't change over time. I was just pointing out that over time "dead" rock will become better and better at bio filtering over time, until it reaches a certain point.
I'm curious how much "porosity" has to do with quality of filtration? Any studies been done in this regard? I'm just curious if there is some literature about it out there...
I hear a lot of things about what's better, but rarely see the actual evidence backing it up.
Not trying to be rude, just wanting to learn more.

nacl-h2o

Thats basicly what I did. Many of the rocks on the bottom and in back of my aquariums were not LR. It was a pale purple and white lifeless base simmular in apperence. The LR on top and infront of it has converted it to LR over time and now you can't tell the difference. This saved me a lot of money. $1.99 for base compared to anywhere from $5.99 to 12.99 a pound for LR depennding on the quality you get and from where.

Z

zainsreef

i think you should do what the guy said oh by the way i think i saw some at e-bay

bigeyedfish

I bought one of those really pourous tan and white "fleckstone" rocks from petsmart. Its underneath some of my live rock. I have noticed coraline starting to spread on it. I am assuming its starting to become "alive". saves some change in the pocket for that nice show quality tonga, figi on the top. just a thought.

azonic

Umm when I go to my lfs and ask for my rock, what do i ask for? I mean, ill be asking for my live rock....but what will i ask for as base rock?

nacl-h2o

Nothing changed the first 2 or 3 mos. After 6 to 8 mos. depending on light falling on the rock there was good green and purple and pink coraline growth and coverage. It wasn't long after that there was no difference between LR and the base in simular lighting and water flow. The rock on the back or bottom were there is poorer lighting will always look less attractive regarless of what it started as.HTH