orange hermits?

i like fish

I just got some scarlet hermits at the fish store. I noticed a couple of them are something different. They have orange and white striped legs with one large white/beige claw and one small claw.
What are these???

cindyski

i think everyone has spring fever, i have been seeing so much flaming going on here. dont worry just be happy!:happyfish
btw, sorry I Like Fish, i cant help ya with your ID.

i like fish

Thanks Cindy, I'm glad it's not just me.
As for the mystery crabs, they are in my fuge and don't appear to be attacking any snails or chasing pods. They are picking at the rocks like good little grazers.

diddley

don't worry about it a bit. i've watched these boards since september and have noticed a few guys (who happen to generally post together) demonstrate a general lack of maturity as of late. your post made complete sense to me, it's like making fun of someone for a typo. take it for what it's worth. you didn't instigate or name-call, you came here for advice or information, not smart-a comments. to answer your question, just google "orange hermit crab" and you'll get the information you're looking for.

I just think this is a great site and some people are messing it up making fun of people for spelling and stuff they don't know heck if we knew everything then we wouldn't even need to talk on here :)

nm reef

I like fish...I'm not sure about the ID but if I were you I'd investigate a bit more to determine just how safe they are. Possibly another member with information will post. Waterfaller may be correct...but I've never seen hermits like the pic you posted.
Sorry for the garbage that got attached to your post...I tossed most of it out...I agree for the most part it was not appropiate...maybe some folks were grounded and couldn't make it to the "real life" playground and were limited to games here.
Some folks need to understand this is not a personal realm for them to have fun and games. Flames and general BS needs to be avoided!If you have something to add or a question to ask feel free...but the trash needs to stop.:yes:

clarkiiboi

Thanks NM reef for cleaning it up and not closing it (I saw it before you did this), cause I too am curious to know. I like Fish I also thought halloween crabs had 2 small claws, not 1 big/bigger one. I only seen pics on this board a few times though. But do know crabs are hard to ID at times. Actually this is all meant to be a bump for ya. :)

K

kistheeze

Originally posted by microman2k
so my hawaiin zebra hermit crabs aren't reef safe?! that poses a problem!

I've had hawaiians in my reeftank for over a year - no problems. I guess it really depends on your definition of reefsafe. They won't harm corals or shrimp - but ANY hermit if very hungry will take down a snail if needbe.
BTW - one of my zebras is currently living in a golfball sized mexican turbosnail shell - just for size reference.
Important thing is to provide a weekly "snack" to keep them at bay. I generally give up a whole cocktail shrimp after lights out. The resulting scramble is akin to a WWF wrestling match...

reefsoe

Now im confused......
Halloween Hermits I thought had 2 small claws and stipes on the legs weather it be black bars on orange or vise versa.
I always thought Zebra hermits were reef safe cause ive had them for a long time. But they are left clawed....
:help:

i like fish

I tried the google thing, didn't get anywhere.
Some info I found indicated that the large claw acted as a trap door when they went into their shell.
This seems to be the case here as the large claw still has tiny pincers, like little fingers on a big hand. If the pincers were larger I could believe that it's predatory.

tonya-sr

thumbing through my invertebrates reference guide, i came across a crab that kind of looks like your new fella,i don't know how to post it's picture yet, but you could go under yahoo, or google and probly find it. it's called a (calcinus) common name red leg hermit crab. species have unequal sized claws,(the left is usually larger) and long eyestalks.they occur in tidepools and on reefs. it's similar to the paguristes. the book says it is reef safe useful in aquariums,
herbivorous. good for algae control, feeds on filamentous algae and cyanobacteria. also carnivorous.
may attack and kill snails eating them and taking there shells.you can feed them dried seaweed (nori).
life span years.
i don't know if this is what yours is but it sure looks like it from your picture. good luck.
tonya-sr