Orange ShoulderHELP!!!!!

jcs69

I recently added a OS tang(a week ago), and he has been doing great. I also added a Picasso at the same time and already owned a juv S&S Puffer. Up until 2 nite all the fish were great along with my water levels. My nitrates were around 30-40, and I was do for a water change. I syccessfully completed my change and all the fish were great, I feed them 2 hrs later and they ate like there was no 2morrow. All of a sudden my OS Tang started swimmind and acting weird, breathing heavy, laying on the bottom..... HELP!!!!!!!!! I also changed 2 of my 4 carbon bags.:help:

jcs69

I only acclimated him, my fish guy anh his fish are super reliable!! My picasso and tang are great?? Should I have quaranteened him prior too acclimating?? How long and why?? What happened in your opinion???

jcs69

The fish are all juveniles, I am upgrading to a 75 ASAP(before Xmas). The tank has been up and running for about 2 months, my nitrates were at 30-40 ppm. Do you think the water killed him???

bang guy

I don't believe the water killed it. I can only guess.
I would suspect that the combination of a tank too small for a Tang, the inability to retreat from the aggressions of the established fish, and being in a totally new environment was too much for it all at once.
Basically I believe it was stressed to death.

jcs69

The picasso and the tang were put in together, the puffer never bothered him?? The picasso is tiny, the tang was the biggest fish in the tank?? Even as small tang is he too big for a 40 gal?? Why was he great for a week???

bang guy

Tangs require swimming space, it's not their size. It's just one of their requirements. A Kole might be OK but no other Tang that I know of does well long term in a 4' tank. Occationally I hear about success with a Yellow or Purple but it's iffy.

jcs69

I am definitely upgrading in the next few months, too at least a 75, or even a 90. So my puffer and tang should be good, my trigger is only maybe an 1.5'. What is a nice fish too add now??