orange spot filefish

r1v2c

I was at my local lfs and they had an orange spot filefish. I have done some reading and realize they might be hard to keep, mainly because of feeding. However, i saw it feeding on brine/mysis ... if it's eating are there any other issues with keeping this fish?
Thanks.

cranberry

I believe nutrition was the main factor with their early demise in our tanks in the past. We are now converting them to frozen and they are definitely living longer. Are we going to see them live to the full potential lifespans. Not sure, this is all so new with these guys, but I guess we'll be seeing...... I still see a lot of people loosing theirs within say, 6 months, and if not around the year mark.
They are still touchy fish, but not next to impossible fish if they are already taking frozen. How thin are they? Sometimes they don't overcome being too skinny. They do like good water quality and mine stop eating when a water change is overdue. You have to feed these guys a lot, so you can't be to light handed with the feeding.

btldreef

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3266861
I believe nutrition was the main factor with their early demise in our tanks in the past. We are now converting them to frozen and they are definitely living longer. Are we going to see them live to the full potential lifespans. Not sure, this is all so new with these guys, but I guess we'll be seeing...... I still see a lot of people loosing theirs within say, 6 months, and if not around the year mark.
They are still touchy fish, but not next to impossible fish if they are already taking frozen. How thin are they? Sometimes they don't overcome being too skinny. They do like good water quality and mine stop eating when a water change is overdue. You have to feed these guys a lot, so you can't be to light handed with the feeding.
+1
I was lucky enough to find one that was eating mysis and brine along with a few other meaty foods, but it was still very thin.
It took me a long time to fatten her up and she's still not 100% to my liking as far as health. YOU CAN NOT MISS A FEEDING OR A WATER CHANGE. If I miss one feeding, she will refuse to eat at the next. I change out 4 cups of water daily and a 20% water change weekly (in a 14G BioCube). I'm meticulous about my water quality and temperature with her.
They're awesome fish, but they take work and are definitely not for a person who doesn't stay on top of their tank all the time. I thought I was meticulous with my tanks, but this fish has made me feel like I used to be lazy.
Word of caution: I've seen a lot of very thin, famished orange spots lately at LFS that are eating mysis. They don't survive more than a week in the store. I think they're accepting mysis only because they're starving most of the time. I watched my fish at the LFS for a few weeks before I finally decided to buy her, the male that was with her died a day later and mine would have as well if left there. Be very careful, even if they're eating meaty foods at the LFS, you need to have a back up plan with SPS on hand if they stop eating meaty foods at home (thank goodness mine never did this, but I was ready for it).

r1v2c

thanks cranberry for the quick reply. I can't really remember how "plump" the fish was but I don't remember thinking it looked too thin. The lfs has had it for about 2 weeks and it still seems to be doing well... I'm just a little skeptical after the reading I've done. .... the fish is pretty stunning though .... I was pretty close to buying it on the spot.

cranberry

I feed twice a day but during one feed I pour and little and walk away... pour a little and then walk away.
Mine is not as picky about eating.... or refusing to. Sometimes I do miss a day here and there.

btldreef

Originally Posted by r1v2c
http:///forum/post/3266907
How often do they need to be fed?
I feed 3 times a day and at all three feedings I drop a little at a time. Each feeding takes about 10-15 minutes. She's extremely picky about eating. I have her in a tank with a Tail Spot Blenny and a Yasha Goby, if either fish goes after the food aggressively, she also won't eat.
It gets frustrating, but she's by far one of my favorite fish, so it's worth it. I'm still waiting to find a fairly healthy male to keep with her. She also won't eat if I don't add vitamins to the food

So far I've gotten her to eat mysis, PE mysis, cyclops, San Francisco Bay Brand Reef Plankton, ArctiPods, Spirulina Brine, live baby brine and Salmon. She won't touch krill, squid or chopped clams and oysters.