Orange Sun Coral

triggerz92

Would a coralife 24" 50/50 be enough lighting for orange sun coral, i know I allready have enough flow and the chart say that it needs low lighting?

oceansidefish

Sun corals in my experience are fairly hight maintenance. Do not buy one unless you can commit to feeding it on a regular basis. This is definately a more expert level coral. However I am not sure about the light. They really don't need much at all but I dont think you could keep anything under that.

mx#28

Originally Posted by Triggerz92
http:///forum/post/2895759
Would a coralife 24" 50/50 be enough lighting for orange sun coral, i know I allready have enough flow and the chart say that it needs low lighting?
Lighting is irrelevant (except maybe in contributing to encroaching algea growth) because sun corals are nonphotosynthetic. This means that they will have to be fed very frequently or will starve to death - as they often do.

mx#28

Originally Posted by Triggerz92
http:///forum/post/2895779
How many times a day do they open?
By nature, they don't open in the day at all - they are nocturnal. However, if they are well fed during the day, they can become 'trained' to stay at least partial open during the day.

boucherh

I am having a hard time with mine right now. It was in bad shape to begin with (the fish store did not feed it. I was hoping to try to save it). It does not come out at all during the day, and only a few of the heads come out at night (and they don't usually come all the way out). I have been feeding it every 2 days or so (I isolate it and feed it cyclopeeze). The only improvement I have noticed is that the tentacles seem to come out a little further than they used to. I am keeping my fingers crossed though. In terms of light, they are non-photosynthetic as mentioned above. So if they are exposed to strong lights it could harm them. Most things I have read state they should be placed low in the tank and in a shaded area. There are a lot of good posts about sun polyps in the non-photosynthetic section of the boards.

thunder7

I would try to feed it every day for a while until you can nurse it back to health. When I first got mine it was doing the same thing. It took several weeks to get it to fully come out. I have had it for about a year now and I feed it every other day.