orange tree sponge

fishfatty

I am going to get an orange tree sponge (like 12" tall) from a local hobbiest. It is $11-14. He says it is doing good, and is healthy. He also said that its not really in shade. My question is, how hard are they to keep, and do they require all shade? Also, what is their diet? Thanks!

jpa0741

Keeping it in the shade helps keep algae from growing on it. Algae growing on it is bad and will kill it. It can not be exposed to air at all or it will die. Phytoplankton is a good source of food for it, but do not spot feed it. Spot feeding it will glog its pores. Just feed the tank.

mudplayerx

I tried an orange sponge before and it slowly turned white and died. I had it in an area of high flow and low light and I dosed phyto. It's a gamble since they are so sensitive to air exposure and it takes awhile for them to die from it.
You never know if you are buying a sponge already doomed to die. Best of luck though. $14 sounds like a very good price.

fishfatty

Thanks for the help...she says its been doing good and I told her to make sure she bags it underwater. Thanks!

stsweene

I have a orange, and HAD a red... the red melted w/in 2-3 months, but the orange is doing great after 8-9 months. I have it under an overhang in med-high flow.