Ordering a skimmer from SWF.com wich one? HELP

bill109

hello i have decided that my lfs is ripping me offf! they want 200 dollars for a sea urchin skimmer with the pump included.
i want to buy one from this site and i have a 30 gallon tank the one i wanted was one that was a hang on..
i saw one here that had a big clear canister and i hace never sseen one work that looked like that.. do theey go in or on ou tank or do they sit on the ground and a submersible pump into the tank and down the tube the water goes??
help me here i need to buy a good skimmmer to do the job on my 30 gallon tank.
can anyone suggest any good kind/type/size for my tank and have an pics of it in action and your review (wheather you liked it)
:joy:
i need something simple and i dont have a sump so i need one with a pump.. i remind you

dmjordan

all the ones on here (except the prizm) are in sump skimmers. the prizm skimmer is a hang on model but have not heard very many good things about them. i have an aqua remora c which is a hang on tank skimmer rated for up to 75 gals. comes with a maxijet 1200 and is less than $200.00. my skimmer works great for what i have now and i don't have any complaints about it. there are a lot of skimmers out there and some are very good but also very expensive.......but you get what you pay for.

bill109

Originally Posted by dmjordan
all the ones on here (except the prizm) are in sump skimmers. the prizm skimmer is a hang on model but have not heard very many good things about them. i have an aqua remora c which is a hang on tank skimmer rated for up to 75 gals. comes with a maxijet 1200 and is less than $200.00. my skimmer works great for what i have now and i don't have any complaints about it. there are a lot of skimmers out there and some are very good but also very expensive.......but you get what you pay for.
do they sell them here?

dmjordan

they only sell one hang on type (prizm) and 4 asm g skimmers which are for in sump use only. if you don't have a sump and you want to buy one from here you will have to go with the prizm skimmer. click on the dry goods tab and scroll down to skimmers

bill109

Originally Posted by dmjordan
they only sell one hang on type (prizm) and 4 asm g skimmers which are for in sump use only. if you don't have a sump and you want to buy one from here you will have to go with the prizm skimmer. click on the dry goods tab and scroll down to skimmers
thought you said that it wasnt very good.

nigerbang

someone on the Classifieds had a Naultilus(sp) for like $110 shipped..great deal..Wish I had the money for it..

gatorwpb

You best bet for HOB skimmer on the 30 gal is a Aqua C Remora or a Coralife Super Skimmer 65. Look on the big auction site or some other online retailers and you should be able to find them pretty cheap. I think I paid like $105 w/ shipping for my CSS 65 on the auction site.

dmjordan

it is not a good skimmer but SWF.COM only offers 5 skimmers. do you have a sump? if no the only skimmer you can buy from here is the prizm because it is a hang on tank model. or you can buy the asm g-1 which will handle up to a 100 gal tank but you will need to buy a sump for your tank first if you wish to use a sump style skimmer.
would i
buy the prizm skimmer

[hr]
definately no

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Prizms are low-end skimmers that do a decent job for its price. They look a lot better for a HOT skimmer than other HOTs, in that you don't have to submerge pumps into your tank [making it unsightly]. I personally like the RemoraPro skimmer for HOT, but it is rather big and clunky for a 30 gal.
If you are looking for a starter skimmer, this will work. The best are in-sump or out of tank types.

gsd

Originally Posted by Beth
Prizms are low-end skimmers that do a decent job for its price. They look a lot better for a HOT skimmer than other HOTs, in that you don't have to submerge pumps into your tank [making it unsightly]. I personally like the RemoraPro skimmer for HOT, but it is rather big and clunky for a 30 gal.
If you are looking for a starter skimmer, this will work. The best are in-sump or out of tank types.
Well the two doctors website has a special right now on the CSS 65 for like $75 I do not know when the special ends but often times they still will honor it even if off special.