Organ pipe coral

reefforbrains

Pull it from your tank, toss it on the floor, then put the pieced back into your tank where you like them.
A very simple coral to frag, but they are a difficult coral to raise in home aqauria. If you have had the specimen for some time and it shows to be healthy and strong growth then go for it.
If you just got it and it is large so it put an idea into your head about fragging it. DONT. It is very difficult to bring a damaged one back if it is a new specimen. Get familiar with it and let it grow in your tank untill you see it is healthy and happy. At least a few months to be safe.............
............then throw it down a flight of stairs and pick up the chunks. The fragging is the easy part, its the experience and long term care that is the beast with these corals.
-JMO

mushroomss

i got them from a friend it is a huge colony.He was BADLY neglecting them so i took them off his hands.LEts just say i spot about 5-6 aiptasia on it and some gunk that looks bad like some type of infection.I wanna frag it so i can hopefully save some.I dont think he thought it was in this bad of shape.

reefforbrains

Sounds like its toast. like I said, they are very difficult to bring back once damaged. If your having it change horses in midstream it is a longshot for recovery unless you are familiar with these corals.
It is painful to watch them slowly deteriorate no matter WHAT you try. Post a pic. they do have a good skeleton that makes them easy to frag. If there are deadspots that could minimize the damage to live tissue then it might be a good plan of attack but honestly unless you have first hand exp with them......its toast now, just a matter of time.
Sorry.

mushroomss

It has a couple dead spots but the rest of it look fine.He had the coral for a good while at least 6 months.I think by fragging it will have a better chance.I dont have much exp with these coral but i have read up on their requirements and my water quality is fine for them.I also have them in a 12 gallon where i have a healthy breeding population of stomatella snails.I believe their eggs would be a great source of food for the organ pipe coral.As i can almost gurantee the coral wasent being fed before.