Osaka Aquarium

#1catfish

That's right! The aquarium that lies in Japan. It is home to the biggest tank in the world, and what else to put in a tank of it's magnitude other than a whale shark!

carshark

my guess is 2.75 million gallons roughly. if my math is off forgive me. but the tank itself holds 11,000 tons of water, and figure 5 gallons of saltwater weighs approx. 40lbs. tells me there is 22,000,000 lbs of water divided by 8lbs. tells me 2.75 million gallons. I may be off, I just got home from camping last night and I am a little hungover and tired..

salty chee

I can't even imagine a tank that size! Compaired to the one the housed the first great white in captivity, it would look similar I bet. That would be so cool to work as a cleaner for that tank!

lion_crazz

That's a pretty huge tank then. 2.7 million gallons is the size of the two lagoons in the Atlantis hotel in the Bahamas.

yellow ace

I've been to the Atlantis aquarium in the Bahamas...huge and awesome! They're building a tank an aquarium in atlanta that in all is 5 mill. gallons! They're gonna have a whale-shark too!!

salty chee

Originally Posted by pbienkiewi
It takes 3 days to do a water change. Haaaa.......
So much for the bigger the tank, the easier to take care.

matty0h_52

that sucks im in cali theres no way a bad

[hr]
aquarium is getting built any where near me. time to take a road trip

S

sonicboom1

imagine how much salt, evaporation. and lighting that takes!!! :joy:

salty chee

Originally Posted by sonicboom1
imagine how much salt, evaporation. and lighting that takes!!! :joy:
I can't even imagine. Jeez.

cowfishrule

i hate to burst all your bubbles, but this is from the aquarium's site. check the size. its only about 13 feet long
"Yu-chan" is the second female whale shark come from Osaka Aquarium Biological Research Institute of Iburi Center in Tosashimizu, Kochi Prefecture. She swims in the Pacific Ocean tank very well. She is 4.3m in length and her estimated weight is 850 kg.
Hoping her good health and long life, she succeeds the name of a whale shark that had lived 3,053 days in captivity and passed away on November 19, 1998.

bryanmc

Originally Posted by matty0h_52
that sucks im in cali theres no way a bad

[hr]
aquarium is getting built any where near me. time to take a road trip

monterey bay aquarium? They had a great white for a while i believe....

matty0h_52

The only time i got enough time to go the montery they had release the great white after all the hype. sucks.. i was like 2 days late