OT Ad Busters, Popup Stopper Etc...Recommendations Plez!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Well, at least your popup was more interesting than mine! Mine was a ad about smokers who could win a TV. I got so sick of seeing that that I was about ready to scream!
What I've learned about SWF.com....is that you can learn a whole lot of stuff here, and not just about tanks. :cool: Members are generally very helpful on all manner of topics.

wrassecal

Originally posted by Beth
Well, at least your popup was more interesting than mine! Mine was a ad about smokers who could win a TV. I got so sick of seeing that that I was about ready to scream!

Mine was only intersting the first 100 or so times.:rolleyes: I did spend some time trying to figure out what language it was.

beth

Administrator
Staff member

Originally posted by Wrassecal
I did spend some time trying to figure out what language it was.

Huh? I would imagine a

[hr]
site would be in the universal language.... ;)

serpentine5

this is all new to me, Kipass4130 mentioned about the messenger that is built into windows NT operating systems, this I knew about and almost killed my computer over. But the update thing, I dont know about. I was half listening to "The Screen Savers" on TechTV tonight and I heard then talk about a microsoft update that has been recalled. This might be what they are talking about: too many complaints. You know microsoft will do anything for a dollar, so planting some spyware onto your computer so you can be advertided to is not beneath them. Might wanna check out the update site to see if this is the recall I over hears, or look it up on The Screen Savers web site, think the URl is thescreensavers.com maybe not, I know you can get there by going to techtv.com, and clicking the link to the show.

polarpooch

Popup Stopper is the best I've ever used.
Adaware is a good spyware remover.
Zonealarm is a great FREE firewall.
I don't even think about popups or spyware anymore.

bigeyedfish

glad to hear i could help someone, since i dont have a tank now i cant really legitimate giving out reef advice, but since i'm a computer guy i love to help in that realm. For the reef stuff i just sit back and learn for the day i get back in again.
i stumbled upon spybot for the same reason as Wrassecal, although it wasnt regarding

[hr]
, couldnt get to my homepage that tracks my stocks. although after i saw how bad they have been i probably should have let it go.
like i said before run spybot once a week and it'll fix up that spyware and cookie hijackers real quick. as for zonealarm be really careful, free is free, we use their corporate version at work and trust me i keep plenty busy trying to figure out why it sucks so bad. mcafee firewall for $40 is a better investment.

I downloaded the spybot thing after reading this thread. Amazed at the junk lurking about unknown on my computer! I got rid of all of it...now waiting to see if I deleted anything I needed with it! So far, so good.
I've been using AdSubtract for several months now. Works really well most of the time, although does seem to monkey up some sites enough that I have to disable it temporarily.
After downloading some update from MS for XP, I suddenly have had lots of problems with programs "not responding" and causing hang ups. Never had this happen one single time until then and all at once, WHAMO...computer freezes up and programs fail to respond. Maybe it is time for a new computer.

fshhub

Originally posted by polarpooch
Popup Stopper is the best I've ever used.
Adaware is a good spyware remover.
Zonealarm is a great FREE firewall.
I don't even think about popups or spyware anymore.

if you like zone alarm, you ought to check out sygate.
personally I like a hardward firewall much better, but if i had to go back to a software, I probably would use sygate after using zone alarm at work and sygate at home.

wrassecal

Originally posted by Beth
Huh? I would imagine a

[hr]
site would be in the universal language.... ;)

You have a point there, but it had words too and was called ubi stony whatever that is. I spent hours trying to get rid of it and that spy bot wiped it right out.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What exactly does a firewall do??
BTW, a note about the popup stopper. You might go to a site you want to be at that uses its own popups. The Popup stopper will also prevent the desirable popups from showing. Thus, you'll need to disable it for this.

bigeyedfish

Beth, just hold down ctrl and then click the link. popup stopper will let it open, otherwise yes you can just disable temporarily.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks.
I disabled popup stopper last nite because I was at a site with the supplemental popups which I did want to see. I forgot to enable to popup stopper but now I notice I'm not getting popups even though the stopper is off.....:confused:
Anyway, glad they are gone. Perhaps the spybot got rid of little invaders causing them?

scotts

Kip,
THANK-YOU
THANK-YOU
THANK-YOU
THANK-YOU
THANK-YOU
THANK-YOU
I had this COMPLTELY F&*^$@G ANNOYING pop up that would happen all the time. About half of them said that if I did not like this pop up to go to a website. Yeah right, how completley stupid do you think I am. Well I took your advice yesterday and so far it seems to have worked. Yes it was one of those messenger ads. I did not know how to turn it off until you told me.
To quote the movie My Fellow Americans "I am going to give you a big kiss, tongue, no tongue, it's your choice." :D :D :D
Please take that in the spirit that it was meant. :rolleyes:
Scott

YES!!! :D :D
Next weeks subject can be cordless phones!
I accidentally road tested one of mine a few days ago (put it on the bumper of my truck and forgot about it. Went out next day and bye bye phone). Need to find SOMETHING with excellent range to replace it. The 2.4 & 5.8 give great clarity but lousy range. The one I lost was a 900 mhz and had awesome range. Not sure why, but it was the best phone in the house.

clarkiiboi

Beth and PhoenixRising brought up a question that I also am curious about. Do we need to be concerned with what the puter brings up to be deleted with using Spybot? Dont want to delete a file I might need. What's your thoughts? Thanks.

bigeyedfish

ClarkiiBoi,
So far I've ignored most of those recommendations. I primarily stick to the web stuff like cookies and spyware. If you notice an application giving you problems maybe then take a look at the other stuff.
Unlike a lot in my field, i like to live by the motto, "If it aint broke dont fix it." Of course if you see obvious benefits by making a change then go for it.
HTH

bigeyedfish

now that i look at my post, not sure if it answers the question or not. just make sure you look through what spyboy finds before hitting clean button. i know on my version, by default it only checks off the cookies, adware and spyware for cleaning. the other stuff it finds, gives you the option of checking the boxes to clean/fix/delete.
is that a better answer? i need coffee or something, i havent woke up yet :D

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I've only deleted the stuff that spybot finds and is marked red. Which is identified by spybot as adware, spyware, etc.

clarkiiboi

I figured that out after reading the tutorial this morning (about the red and green ones). Thanks a bunch for the sites. Working like a charm. So nice to not have to close all the pop ups! ***Patting Beth on the back for starting this thread**** And all the others who helped with the links. :D