OT: Anyone familiar with Burbank, California. I need help.

tangman99

I'm considering interviewing for a job that will require me to move from Florida to California. The job would be in Thousand Oaks, CA. According to the cost of living calculator, my cost of living for this city would be 42% higher. If anyone is familiar with this area, where would be a reasonable place to live and commute to work. Not knowing anything about California, are there any other considerations I should be aware of other than cost of living?
Thanks if you have any input.

scotts

TM99
I live in Thousand Oaks. e-mail me at skschneider@adelphia.net and we can talk. I am having problems with my e-mail so it may take a little bit to reply to you. Or you can try scotts@valex.com . BTW Burbank is about 35 miles from Thousand Oaks. You must just be flying into the Burbank airport.

buzz

Yeah...Ideally, you wouldn't want to live in Burbank and commute to Thousand Oaks. While it is a pretty easy drive, it is still a distance.
I live down closer to the Burbank area. There are areas in between that are more reasonable places to live. Burbank isn't cheap either.

tangman99

Scotts,
I'll email you tonight. It will probably be late though. I guess I was way off on the distance. Burbank just looked like a close area when viewing MapQuest so I used it for a reference. My mistake.
I'm really interested in a location that is convenient to Thousand Oaks and in a nice neighborhood. For all I know, Thousand Oaks may be the place to live. I would want a house preferably 4 bedroom in the 2500 square foot range.
My biggest problem would be getting used to paying state and local taxes :(

scarybo

The drive daily from Burbank to Thousand oaks would be tough. If you arent used to sitting in traffic I would try and move closer. Thousand Oaks is a great area to live in.

coral boy

Tangman,
That size house in that area you'll be paying at least $500,000 if not more. also if you live in the surounding area watch where you go there are some bad areas in s.cal.

tangman99

Originally posted by coral boy
Tangman,
That size house in that area you'll be paying at least $500,000 if not more. also if you live in the surounding area watch where you go there are some bad areas in s.cal.

Wow! I guess the cost of housing is much higher. I may have to settle for a little less square footage.
I definitely want to scout out and know about the bad areas. I know all cities have them and I want to be as far away from them as possible. Price is not an issue when it comes to my families safety.

scotts

TM
Did you get my e-mail? I am not sure if my e-mail is working right. After reading Coral boys message I feel like moving.:D
Scott

tangman99

Originally posted by Scotts
TM
Did you get my e-mail? I am not sure if my e-mail is working right. After reading Coral boys message I feel like moving.:D
Scott

I actually sent an email to you last night to both email addresses. It was about 1 a.m. EST when I sent it.

scotts

TM
I got your e-mail and replied this morning. Did you not get my reply? Check your e-mail.
Scott