OT: Anyone from Wisconsin???

polarpooch

I love this OT board. I'm from Madison...anyone else from Madison, or anywhere else in Wisconsin?? How 'bout some suggestions for good fish/herp stores?
In Madison, Aquatic Specialties has the nicest fish, but the highest price. Aquarium Superstore has the best prices, but not a goo dfish selection. Both have good, but pricey corals. Corals are CHEAP at Petworld ...and most are in pretty good shape, too!

polarpooch

Geez, it's freaking freezing here, too! Milwaukee, Waukesha....neither of those are that far away...what are some really good LFS in your area?
I've been to a place near MLK in Milwaukee that has a big shark pool and an old green moray living in it...can't remember the name. I've also been to a place in West Allis (on Hwy 100???)
Anyway...I'll make the drive...if you guys could give me some good LFS suggestions!
THANKS!

new_noob

Originally posted by polarpooch
Geez, it's freaking freezing here, too! Milwaukee, Waukesha....neither of those are that far away...what are some really good LFS in your area?
I've been to a place near MLK in Milwaukee that has a big shark pool and an old green moray living in it...can't remember the name. I've also been to a place in West Allis (on Hwy 100???)
Anyway...I'll make the drive...if you guys could give me some good LFS suggestions!
THANKS!

The LFS with the shark pool and Koy pool, are in Hoffers Tropical Life Pets. And the one in West Allis is most likely Aquatics Unlimited.
Those are my two favorite LFSs, Hoffers is my favorite, its AWSOME! They sell great fish for OK prices, and sell wonderful corals and live rock, their live rock is very pricey but it is the best i have seen. It is also a great Pet Shop for other types of pets.
what are some good LFS in Madison? Me and my family are going to Madison on Monday to drop off my brother because he goes to college there. Which LFS would you recomend?

polarpooch

Noob,
I would recommend Aquatic Specialties on University Ave. (that the Beltline to Midvale, go north to Unveristy, turn right and look for the center with Willaim Thomas Designs and Atlanta Bread Company on the corner. I forget the cross street...it's on the left hand side. It's next to the Danford Plaza. If you are coming from the University area, just drive up University avenue from Campus and look to the right ...it's about 2 miles up, past the hospital)
Good selection of swf...pricey, though. Lots of cool wrasses and big angels.
That's the best one. It's NOTHING compared to the shopes I've seen in Milwaukee and the Chicago area, but it's the best we've got and worth a look.
Squidd:

elfdoctors

I live in northwestern Wisconsin very close to the Minnesota border. I have to go to the Twin Cities to find a LFS.

benihuma

The one you're talking about with the big shark pool on MLK is actually Aqua Exhibits. Their prices are great, but in the summer months their fish are a bit stressed due to no chiller. At least last summer that's how it was. Hoffers is a great place to look, but their prices are insane.
Ben

polarpooch

Dave,
Well, Stevens Point is the home of Point Beer, isn't it? That's SOMETHING! hehehe.
I think Milwaukee has the best stuff I've seen...you'd think Madison would be have awesome fish stores...but eh.

stryder

I'm from Fond Du Lac WI. I have a bunch of LFS around me. I go to Pet Stuff in West Bend,, good prices, but sometimes the fish don't look the greatest. I also go up to Oshkosh which is about 30min away two good stores there are Aquarium Pets and The Fish Bowl, they are alittle more pricey but their fish are beautiful. I have also been to Aqua Exhibits, very cool store:)
Stryder

salty cheese

Originally posted by tzenda
there are others that i visited in madison, but when i left the store i felt like i needed a shower.
they were nasty

That reminds me of the pet store that used to be on Park St. by the Taco Bell, the one where the humane society had to go and rescue all the animals after the store shut down and the owners just left. That place was WAY nasty.

salty cheese

Originally posted by polarpooch
When you say Madison's Most Wanted,I think of...Quinn...or Khor!

God, I’m such a dumb ass sometimes. (Banging my head on the desk, while muttering “stupid”, “stupid”):DNo, it’s not Quinn or Khor, I completely forgot about the name of the old segment when I gave you the hint.
The memory I was trying to invoke was the “Wanted by the MPD” flyers I made of you and Zak.

polarpooch

OK, I remember the fliers, but it's been a few years here...so tell me your name! I've got too much information clogging it up right now...
Hey, maybe you'll know this...are there any Madison fish clubs/meetings anywhere?

elfdoctors

I live closest to Forest Lake Pets so this is where I go to the most. It has a poor selection, average prices, and their staff is not very knowledgeable. Their tanks, (particularly the coral and live rock tanks) are poorly maintained. Martin, the owner, seems to know his stuff but he tends to be somewhat rude and not to answer questions (even when his friendly understudies direct me to him and I have a large order?).
I've been to World of Fish in Minneapolis. That is where I got my tank. They seem to be knowledgeable, with a good selection and average prices. Their live rock seemed high quality. They seem to be too busy to answer questions and sometimes seem elitist. The location isn't particularly accessible for me.
The store I tend to go to most often (after Forest Lake) is Wet World in Eagan. The location is convenient when I take my kids to the zoo. Their selection is good. Their prices are high and quality are high. They definitely try to answer questions (although they don't understand the difference between FW and SW ich). They have had the best quality corals.
I haven't been to any other stores as it is hard for me to leave the county when I have women who might go into labor.
I have ordered from this site the most and prefer this as the prices are low, the quality is high and the convenience is great.
What are your favorite stores?