OT: Best Aquarium

demosthenes

Okay, this is a matter relevant, or I believe so, to this hobby, so I hope this does not cross the OT Guidelines. Anyways, I've been thinking of where to plan my next vacation/trip thing, and want to go someplace with a great Aquarium. So far I've been to Birch Aquarium at Scripps Institute and I've also been to the Boston Aquarium, which were both amazing. So, what is your opinion of the best aquarium out there?

save money and go to the LFS. lol. i heard there is one under water in new orleans. all the ones on e the west coast suck excpet for montery bay, and thats ok. so take a look at new orleans.

leigh

i had a great time at the one in barcelona...bit of a haul though just to see an aquarium :)
oh but seriously though, if you're in indiana, you may want to plan a trip to Tropicorium in michigan--soo much coral. took my parents there the weekend before they went to puerto rico...they said i ruined their diving trip cause everything they saw in pureto rico paled in comparison to the fish store trip the weekend before .:rolleyes:

fishkiller

Wait for the Atlanta Aquarium to be built, and go there. It is supposed to be the biggest in the country.

rook

You could go to the aquarium in Chicago. Only one I have been too, but I liked it. A good display of corals and reef tanks, as well as the Great Lake displays, and the main display.

broncofish

Originally posted by califishdude
all the ones on e the west coast suck excpet for montery bay, and thats ok

I'm a regular at MBA and love it, I would go beyond saying it is OK, and say outstanding.

broncofish

The monterey Bay aquarium is in monterey. If I was coming up from the south here is what I would do. Plan for a stop in morro bay for surfing, then the next day drive up to big sur, the next day visit pebble beach and a walk around carmel and maybe a little surfing and trestles, then go to The aquarium stay in monterey overnight enjoying the fresh seafood, and nightlife....then go back home realizing that is as good as life gets

mlm

I live in New Orleans and as far as I know there is not an aquarium here under water. We have the Aquarium of the Americas which is very nice but it is not under water.

i thought i read something about a aquriuam under water. maybe i was dreaming of making my own. anyways is there a aquriaum in SF. im not sure. i live about 3hrs from there. im in northern cali

broncofish

Yes there are a couple in SF, one right on the warf, never been to them. I've been told to not waste my money. The Monterey Bay aquariums is just awesome, I go ther a few times a year

robchuck

My vote would be for the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. Wait until after April 12th though. That's when they open the new 3/4 million gallon shark & reef exhibit.

krux

think the most frequently visited one in the bay area is probably the steinhardt, but thats not really worth making a trip for, unless you wanted to hit some of the other attractions.
as for monterey, i have been a member of MBA for 7 years, even though i now live a little too far for a day trip to visit. also i had the priveledge of doing some research dive work with a few of their researchers.
if you are looking for tropical fish, this isnt the place for you. But they have a 1 million gallon (yes 1,000,000) exhibit with sea turtles, tuna, and bonito (only other one like it is in japan, in fact, it is the largest glass window in the world at 54 feet wide, and the tallest aquarium in the world), a kelp forest exhibit of 125,000 gallons, as well as hundreds of other fascinating displays. Forget the stats on the shark tank, well over 75,000 though. The focus of MBA is the coastal regions off of california, so they have a very extensive collection of invertibrates and fishes from the area. There is an amazing jellyfish exhibit, if those intrest you. There is a section filled with shore birds, demonstrating the transition from sea to land, there is a demonstration of a river habitat with salmon, and who can forget sea otter exhibit? also there is a deep sea exhibit that is unlike any other in the world to my knowledge.
admission is like 17 or 18 dollars for adults, less for children. if you have a student id, its even cheaper.
links not working from swf at the moment, but you can visit the site at www.montereybayaquarium.com
have a nice vacation!

kris

Herer in very cold (still) Minnesota we have underwater world at the Mall of America. I love it and think it's awesome we go a couple times a year. And even if you think it stinks you just walk down another lane or two to the indoor amusement park, Camp Snoopy.
Enjoy

ekclark

Robchuck and I may have different tastes with baseball, but he is right on with the Shedd in Chicago. See dolphins, some of them are having babies, whales, the sea horse exibit is one of the coolest things I have ever seen, and when the reef exibit is rolling, it will be the best museum/zoo in the city. The new Amazon rising exibit is also pretty cool.

justinx

I am not sure if anyone has already said this or not, but the ocean institute in Maui, HI. is AMAZING! Not to mention the natural tank surrounding the islands. An awesome trip.

demosthenes

Justin, if I could afford the trip to Hawaii that would be the first place I'd visit. Yeah, I plan on visiting Shedd Aquarium when I go up to Chicago for the IMAC. I've been reading up on the new additions for weeks now. I simply can't wait. I also want to go the Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies in Gatlinburg, TN, but we're going to Orlando for Spring Break and my parents are always too busy in the summer to ever finagle a vacation, so I can only go on vacations during Christmas Break and Spring Break, the best two breaks of the year, excluding BREAKfast that is.

yosemite sam

I went to the Long Beach Aquarium last year. They had a travelling jellyfish exhibit there, I don't think it's still around though.
Oh yeah. Leigh, I second the props for the Barcelona aquarium. Very cool.