OT - But VERY Cool!

READ THE POST - THEN LOOK AT THE PICTURE!!!
I got this via e-mail and had to share it with everyone here. Here's how the e-mail went:
READ THE STORY THEN LOOK AT THE PICTURE
A picture began circulating in November. It should be "The Picture of the Year," or perhaps, "Picture of the Decade." It won't be. In fact, unless you obtained a copy of the US paper that published it, you probably will never see it. The picture is that of a 21-week-old unborn baby named Samuel Alexander Armas, who is being operated on by a surgeon named Joseph Bruner. The baby was diagnosed with spina bifida and would not survive if removed from his mother's womb. Little Samuel's mother, Julie Armas, is an obstetrics nurse in Atlanta.
She knew of Dr. Bruner's remarkable surgical procedure. Practicing at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville. He performs these special operations while the baby is still in the womb. During the
procedure, the doctor removes the uterus via C-section and makes a small incision to operate on the baby. As Dr. Bruner completed the surgery on little Samuel, the little guy reached his tiny, but fully developed, hand through the incision and firmly grasped the surgeon's finger.
In a Time Europe article highlighting new pregnancy imagery that show the formation of major organs and other significant evidence of the formation of human life but a few days after conception, Dr.Bruner was reported as saying that when his finger was grasped, it was the most emotional moment of his life, and that for an instant during the procedure he was just frozen, totally immobile.
The photograph captures this amazing event with perfect clarity. The editors titled the picture, "Hand of Hope". The text explaining the picture begins, "The tiny hand of 21-week-old fetus Samuel Alexander Armas emerges from the mother's uterus to grasp the finger of Dr. Joseph Bruner as if thanking the doctor for the gift of life." Little Samuel's mother said they "wept for days" when they saw the picture. She said,
"The photo reminds us my pregnancy isn't about disability or an illness, it's about a little person." Samuel was born in perfect health, the operation 100 per cent successful. Now see the actual picture, and it is awesome ... incredible. And hey, pass it on.
The world needs to see this one![/B}

[hr]
The next post will have the pic.
Hope you all enjoy!

tangman99

That is unreal. I'm thankful everyday that both of my children were healthy, but it's good to know that things like this are possible for those that are less fortunate.

Glad you guys liked it! The picture was so cool I was SURE RyeBread took it.:)
I praying already (and we're not even trying yet) that we have no problems with children. But yes, it's reassuring to know that the technology is out there to fix things like this.

dcox88

I work for a group of pediatric neurosurgeons but we don't do that particular procedure. Dr. Bruner is at Vanderbilt medical center in Tennessee. He has done about 30 of these procedures now. I started working here 1 month before I found out my wife was pregnanat with our first child. I was so freaked out that there would be a problem with the baby. My docs just kept telling me not to worry, we see all of the sick kids in North Texas, it just seems like a lot. Everything turned out fine.
Have you guys heard about the conjoined twins they are going to seperate in Dallas? That's our practice that is doing the surgery.

birdy

I am always blown away at what they can do for babies, inutero and for the preemies that are born every day. Being a mother of twins, prematurity was a huge issue during my pregnancy and I am thankful everyday that they were full term and healthy.

T

thomas712

Birdy - Good to see you posting once in a while, you are missed around here. :)
Thomas

birdy

Thanks Thomas, I lurk quite a bit, it is hard to post when you are hold a three month old ( or two three month olds!).

ryebread

Originally posted by hookedonreefs
Glad you guys liked it! The picture was so cool I was SURE RyeBread took it.:)

:confused: :D Thanks for the compliment but, that one is a little bit out of my league. I have seen that photo around for the last couple of years and it still amazes me.

kreach

I've seen that photo and heard the story before too, but it still blows me away every time. Amazing! :)

Sorry all I didn't know it was an old story/picture. I just got it for the first time yesterday. All in all it's still cool!