OT: creating a web-site

jacksonpt

I prefer Macromedia DreamWeaver. It is fairly easy to pickup, and doesn't put in a lot of unnecessary code. Second, I like Adobe GoLive. Not as intuitive, but you can do a lot with it. It's setup very well for doing graphic intensive layouts. Again, it doesn't put in much code. Last place is Microsoft FrontPage. If you're used to MS Office products, it will be a breaze to learn. However, it puts in a TON of unecessary code. And it lets you do a lot that isn't compatible with Netscape, regardless of the version.
I use DreamWeaver and GoLive on a regular basis, and I do web design for a living. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm happy to help out when I can.

jacksonpt

lol... just take it slow. These design programs do 90% of the work for you. You'll be fine... feed me your questions if you get stuck.

bradttu

Each website I have ever designed was done in frontpage. Go see for yourself. www.bmstill.com All of the sites there are my freelance stuff.
I've been designing sites for close to 5 years now. Feel free to ask any questions.

spyderreef

Bradttu, Did you ever try anything besides Front Page. For someone with no program experience how difficult is it?

bradttu

I learned on FrontPage so I guess that's why I keep using it. Yes, I have used others before and I think FrontPage is would be best to learn on. That's just my opinion though. I use Dreamweaver at work just because that's what they purchased. It's also easy to use, but I wouldn't want to learn on it.
The main reason I use FrontPage is because you can update sites without having to FTP anything. You log in to your site online, make your changes and then click save. It saves a lot of time. You don't have to worry about directory structures. You can move a file on the web server and FrontPage will automatically update the HTML on the pages that are affected.
If I were you, I'd go pick up a copy of it. You will hear mixed opinions on whether to use FrontPage or Dreamweaver. It all comes down to what you choose to use.
I hope this helps you out.

wamp

What does it cost to put up and maintain a website from someone such as yourselves?
Edit:
I guess you would need a little more detail huh...
Here is the current Website, The company I work for is in the market for a new and improved one. The man who maintains it and updates it currently is a very busy man and does it on the side. It does not require much in the way of updating but when it needs it, he is hard to find..
http://www.uesonline.com

spyderreef

Bradttu, Your opinion is very helpful. You are right, I think that one might favor something that they learned first. I know people that use both. I am still undecided. Do you know if they have demo's. Guess I will look into that. Thanks again.

kittykitty

Personally, I think that Macromedia makes awesome products.
I use Dreamweaver along with Adobe Imageready and Photoshop to make graphics.
Dreamweaver is very easy to learn, the way I did it was reading tutorials online. Flash is a really cool program to get into also.
Here's my website, created 3 years ago with Dreamweaver, Flash, Photoshop, and Imageready.
Jhonen Vasquez Fan Page
I could probably do a lot better with it now, though =b And on top of that, it is hosted on a free website provider, which = lots of unwanted pop-up ads. Basically, there are two different costs when it comes to creating a domain . If you want a www.yourwebsite.com name, you have to first buy that domain, and then also buy space to put your website on. You can usually do this pretty inexpensively by using two different companies, but some have like a package deal. On the other hand, you can buy the space for your website and simply use a url redirection service (for example, the fly.to/yourwebsite things... or cjb.net.)

bradttu

Originally posted by wamp
What does it cost to put up and maintain a website from someone such as yourselves?
Edit:
I guess you would need a little more detail huh...
Here is the current Website, The company I work for is in the market for a new and improved one. The man who maintains it and updates it currently is a very busy man and does it on the side. It does not require much in the way of updating but when it needs it, he is hard to find..
http://www.uesonline.com

Email me so we can talk in private. brads@anythingcars.com or sales@bmstill.com

bradttu

Originally posted by wamp

Do you have another email address??? The one I am replying to keeps getting returned to me.

sammystingray

I've made sites with dreamweaver and frontpage. Most any server will have frontpage extensions that make it nice and easy. Flash was a quick and dying trend, and annoys atleast 80% of websurfers nowadays. I personally hate flash intros and ALWAYS "skip" them. Dreamweaver has better layering options........which are fun in my opinion, but frontpage is the one I stayed with. It's just my opinion, but frontpage has everything you need, and most servers have frontpage extensions. Dreamweavers more advanced, but the advanced features are often annoying to surfers in my opinion.....people want to get where they're going, not look at the "cool" graphics you made.

Stick with frontpage. I owned both, used both, and ended up ALWAYS using frontpage.:)

clown boy

Originally Posted by sammystingray
I've made sites with dreamweaver and frontpage. Most any server will have frontpage extensions that make it nice and easy. Flash was a quick and dying trend, and annoys atleast 80% of websurfers nowadays. I personally hate flash intros and ALWAYS "skip" them. Dreamweaver has better layering options........which are fun in my opinion, but frontpage is the one I stayed with. It's just my opinion, but frontpage has everything you need, and most servers have frontpage extensions. Dreamweavers more advanced, but the advanced features are often annoying to surfers in my opinion.....people want to get where they're going, not look at the "cool" graphics you made.

Stick with frontpage. I owned both, used both, and ended up ALWAYS using frontpage.:)
Not from my experience.
I use Dreamweaver and Flash for almost every website I do. Example: http://www.russellterriers4life.com/

37g joe

Originally Posted by Clown Boy
Not from my experience.
I use Dreamweaver and Flash for almost every website I do. Example: http://www.russellterriers4life.com/
Wow you pulled this out of the Vault. Sory clown boy but the las time someone posted on this besides you was 2 1/2 years ago. But you get an A for effort. :)