OT- do you own a boat?

dockery07

We are considering getting one. I have never had one before we always just rented one. Tell me what you like and dis-like and what you would do differently if you could.
THanks

wamp

The old saying goes " The two happiest days in my life are when I bought a boat and then the day I sold the boat"
I don't own one. I too want one but I would never use it enough to justify the cost.

dockery07

We are looking at a SeaRay. My husband wants the the 2000 signature. But I am thinking maybe an older model. SeaRay or Colbalt

Originally posted by wamp
The old saying goes " The two happiest days in my life are when I bought a boat and then the day I sold the boat"

This is so true. that being said I sure do miss having one. The searay's are very well built boats and last a long time. Happy boating to you either way ou go.
Rich

dockery07

They are so expensive..... SeaRay is a pretty boat. But it's more than my truck.. I dont know, dear husband who is traveling right now told me to make my mind up by tomorrow.

lesa

hubby wanted one, we bought a bass and ski and then he wanted a champion so now we have 2. He is not getting another one;)

plum70rt

Just went through this problem, I love to fish and boats, so being in Fla, wanted one, my wife hates boats:( so I got one anyway:D
but I wanted the best of both worlds, to launch off any where I wanted to, to fish with, Cheap, compact, and something I can handle myself , the answer a Sea Eagle, its an Inflatable, hard bottom, great boat had fun with it, but its being sold I want a bigger one:)

leigh

Yeah, i got a great boat--portable, economic, trusty, plenty of space for two people, my dog, and a cooler...perfect for fishing off of...it's specific model is referred to as a "canoe" :D

robn70

I spend a lot of time waterskiing so I ended up getting a Mastercraft that i finally finshed paying for after 4 years. Boats unfortanitly cost as much as cars. and thats before the gas, maintaince, insurance and dock fees. Just make sure you are going to get enough use out of it to justify purchasing over renting.

dockery07

You know that is exactly what our 13year old just said. Maybe we'll wait a year or so and see how much we go to the lake.

littleguy

we used to own a 28'cruiser and in my opinion was great we now have a motorhome but i would take the boat over it anyday.

tangman99

We thought about buying one once, but a friend of ours that just about gave his away said it was a hole in the water to throw money in. My exwife and her husband bought a brand new boat and the last two times they took it out, it broke down.
We changed our mind as we knew we would not use it very often and were told that they tend to go down hill fast if not used regularly.

cheerflip2

in my opinion, boats are like tanks, and many other things, bigger is better so I would get a big one from the start.

Searays are good but if you are looking for a boat that can last a grady-white or boston whaler or mako are less expensive and they are extremely good, and if you are looking for bigger boats then viking or beltran, also very expensive but it really is worth it if you are going into boats.

fishkiller

We have a 30 ft Whitewater which is the same as a Contender. Both are made for open ocean. Are you looking for a cruising boat, fishing, skiing... And what kind of conditions are you looking at? Salt or fresh, big seas or little lake waves? Searay is an excellent choice. If I am not mistaken, they are made by the same people who make Sea V's. These are very sea-worthy boats- Deep V hulls for heavy seas. We use ours mainly for offshore fishing, Scuba-diving, and partying. It is a center-consul, deep V hull, w/ twin 250 hp Yamaha Salt-Water Series II's. It was made in 94, and still looks brand-new. If you are out around the Miami/keys area, look for a boat with "PREDATOR" on the side.:cool:

dockery07

strickly a lake boat. We just bought a lot on a lake and would like to use it for something. Big lake but still just a lake.