OT - Earthquake! Anyone in CA feel it?

buzz

Just had a 6.5 in Central CA. Way North of me (near Burbank), but our building was rolling here too. Thought it was my eyes for a second until I realized it was me that was moving...
Anyone else feel it? Anyone closer to it, I hope you are OK!

I used to live in the Napa Valley in CA. We had earthquakes routinely, a few of which were sorta scary. I used to go check my waterbed if I thought the earth was moving under my feet to see if it was rolling. I hope all comes out okay there. 6.5 is nothing to sneeze at...

scotts

B, The earthquake was near Cambria. Close to Hearst castle. We live in Thousand Oaks and my wife called to see if I had felt it. I was in the car at the time so I did not. She felt it at her work.
Scott

Be careful to check for leaks for several days or weeks after an earthquake. We had a 4.5 in Virginia a few weeks ago. I called my wife to check the tank right away. Things seemed fine. Last night I noticed quite a bit of salt creep from the return line entering the bottom of the tank in the overflow area. As I explored this the trickle turned into a steady stream that I was able to direct into the sump. Fortunately I just needed to tighten the fitting to stop the leak.
I will be leaving for a week in Jamaica on Sunday. Sure glad I caught this before I left.

elguapo

yea i sure did feel it. it lasted about 20 seconds and felt like i was standing on a dock on the ocean. was pretty cool it wasnt one of the big shakers that we usually get. a nice lil 6.5 man i love california. give me earthquakes over tornandos or hurricanes or snow any day.
-gabe

buzz

A 4.5 in Virginia? Didn't know you guys had any quakes like that back there. Good point about checking for leaks...
They updated the news, and I guess they have a 3 person death toll at this point.

the 4.5 was a little northwest of Richmond and I felt it at work here in Prince William. It wasn't exciting. I just think it's weired to have a quake on both coasts just a few days appart

jedininja

I sure felt it here in the Silicon Valley. I was working on my computer and I thought to myself that I needed a break from staring at my monitor. I turned around and saw everything moving and finally realized it was't just me. It seemed like a really long quake too because there were a few aftershocks within the next few seconds.

cprdnick

I live in Amarillo, TX. Here we not only get Tornado's, dust storms, hail the size of truck tires, blizzards, and 60 mile an hour gusts, but in the last few years we've been getting tremors. They were the kind where if u'r just sitting there, you'll start to see stuff fall over or move on their own, I haven't felt one yet, but I sure as heck thought my house was haunted or something.