OT: Oooh!!! Noooo!!! Freezing Rain

salty rick

We are getting freezing rain in Greensboro, NC. I hope the power dosen't go out.
What do you do to keep your aquarium warm when the power goes out?

salty rick

Freezing rain is when it rains and the temp outside is below 32. The rain freezes on all surfaces outside. The weight of the ice causes the tree limbs to break and fall on power lines. That in turn causes power outages. The weight of the ice can also bring powerlines down.
In December people didn't have electricity for 7 days because of the freezing rain and snow causing trees to fall on power lines.

slothy

Originally posted by Lebowski
oh wow.......... I hope that your tank will live through any power outage..... I'm not in that area, I wouldn't know what to do...
But if any electricity went out, I'd take a car battery and use that as electricity, I'd recharge it using a car generator etc....

hahhahh go try this theory please.. :D
120v - 12v all the same ? haahh

algaepad

I live in Raleigh and so far so good. No power outages yet. Sleet and freezing rain coming down pretty good right now though. I went out yesterday morning and purchased a 5500 watt generator. My 90 gallon reef tank is only a month and a half old so I did not have it set up yet during the last storm.
Hopefully none of us will have to deal with anything but better safe than sorry.

josh

We had the ice last night and snow today, all day.
When I was driving home from work last night, I saw all kinds of cars in the ditch and so on. You would think all I would be worried about was getting home, but I was thinking.... oh hell I hope the power dosen't go off!!!!
;)

phil1964

Nasty here too.
Boss called an hour ago and said come in late!
He does not have a tank so he would never understand !

rkm

I am in the middle of the storm. It started to snow yesterday night. I woke up from 5 hours of sleep to 5 a.m. to jump in a truck an attempt to plow snow until 8 p.m. tonight. Our county comisioner. Told us to clock out and go home and come back out a 7 in the morning the next day. People are fired up. more than half of the guys drove early in the morning to get to the trucks they are driving in. Most of them do not have their own 4 wheel drive vehicle. They now are told to go home and come back out. Yea. I bet over 50 percent don't bother to come back. I have no Idea how much snow I got in my county I know it's over a foot at noon. I stuck my 20 oz mountain dew to the bottom of the snow and still had 4 inches of snow above it. As of 2 hours ago we are getting sleet. This is what I was hoping we would not get. I must not loose power. My reef and me and my wife like heat.
Just found a little measuring tape. This shot is doing no justice. It is well over the 12 in. This is on a little drift created from where my wife shovled for the dogs. I will get a better pic tomorrow. You can see the sleet falling