OT Remember flight 93

sammystingray

Hey guy and gals. For some reason flight 93 touches my heart more than most anything that day gone by......I think it was the calls that were made, and the fact that those calls kind of let us know what was going on at that moment. When it first happened, I researched that flight a lot so I could learn about it, and even this night/morning.......I still find myself wondering, and I feel no less sad when I read about the phone calls and last thoughts of those brave men and women. 100 years from now children will learn about September 11th in their history books at school, my friends, we were here now to witness it. The thing that gets me about this flight.......is how much I wish with all my heart they would have won and landed the plane victoriously.....it seems fate had other plans. Please read this link again a few years later and remember these heros. No need to post about it really, just remember......I never really appreciated what I read in school in my history books until I became an adult and realized that we are writing history as we speak, and that the events I thought of as boring history lessons were real life to the people that lived through it. I'm not looking for pro-war, or anti-war comments, I just wanted to post this link for some reason I'm not even sure of......it just really gets to me I suppose.
http://www.msnbc.com/news/632626.asp?cp1=1

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, you have to wonder what you would do in a situation like that. In the 70s highjacking commercial planes was common place and the thought was that terrorists had an actual goal, and it wasn't suicidal. Thus people who went thru that ordeal felt that they could actually come out of it alive.
Now, we know better. Now we know that if any one of us find ourselves in such a situation on an airline, that passivity is not the answer. It will be a fight to the death for our lives.
What is really sad is that their weapons were box cutters. In a flight full of people, I know the terrorists could have been overcome by the passengers/crew.....if only they had known. If only they knew what we know now.

lovethesea

Beth you hit the nail on the head. I had to fly on business one of the first flights after 9-11. I went on that plane with the attitude that I will fight to the death. If approx 150-200 people have the same attitude every flight, that would be our best security. the shear surprise of people lunging out of their seats. The shoe bomber was almost beaten to his death by people with this attitude.
My bday is 9-11 and I will ALWAYS remember that day how I felt sad for all those souls. And sad for my children that their world will never be the same. Just as many people can remember exactly what they were doing when JFK was killed.
I still have the link that shows ALL the sides of the rock that was painted in honor of our country Rbmount posted above. I posted it awhile back when I received it as an email. Very gifted person.
ok, lets try this. Be sure to scroll down the see all the sides of this rock. I think it should be in Washington or New York City.
For some reason I can't get the link on here.....:mad:

fishman830

wow the shoe bomber almost got beaten to death?? i didnt know that, but having like 200 peopel on a plane with that attitude really would be hte best security

scotts

3 things.
1. Just wanted to bump this up for others to see. It puts things in perspective.
2. I was thinking about this today and for some reason the quote, "Some people are born to greatness, and some people have greatness thrust upon them" comes to mind. The people had a horrible challange to face and they did so with honor. It is too bad that we could not thank them properly.
3. Sammy you are definitely a complex person. But then again I have always said that I have never met a boring machinist yet. If we are ever in the same neck of the woods I would love to sit down and have a beer with you. I will buy, the first one, not all night.....Aw what the hell I will just get a keg.
Scott

rbmount

Thanks for the link, lovesthesea, my sister emailed that pic the other day, but I have not seen the rest of it. AWESOME is all I can say about it.

phil1964

I remember. I will never forget it. How can we.
It is everywhere now. We should not be allowed to forget.

rbmount

9-11 is forever etched in my mind, just like the day Kennedy was shot, Challenger and Columbia had their accidents, etc. We should all never forget.

sammystingray

Originally posted by Scotts
Sammy you are definitely a complex person. But then again I have always said that I have never met a boring machinist yet. If we are ever in the same neck of the woods I would love to sit down and have a beer with you. I will buy, the first one, not all night.....Aw what the hell I will just get a keg.
Scott

Your best bet is to stick with the first beer when with me.:D If you are ever around here, you are more than welcome to let me know and stop by, and that goes for most any member here. I love meeting fellow hobbiests. :) Actually, don't worry about the beer, not too often is my fridge hurting for liquid stupidity, and I never ask a guest to buy.:) As long as I don't think you are a freak, We have a spare bedroom for anyone to save money on a Cleveland visit.:)

nm reef

Careful with the invite sammy...I've been a life long Browns fan and going to one of their home games is on my list of things to do before I die!!

sammystingray

NM, you are welcome to stay anytime......I mean that.....waterfaller1, I would like you to show up when my fiance is at work.:D :D ;) ;)

sammystingray

hehehehe BTW NM, my fiance loves the Steelers, so she may not like you much!!!!! JK, but she does go nuts....the browns lost to the Steelers today and she was crazy happy!!!!!:eek:

stillfrodo

9/11 was very tragic for me. I know I have posted this before but I lost 5 really close friends all NYFD in the collapse. I spent weeks after the collapse digging at ground zero and working with FEMA. Time doesn't really heal anything. Anytime I pass one of my friends gear rack and look at his equiptment or pitch on our softball team he is with me. He used to steal my turnout gear on calls all the time cause mine was closest to the truck. Sorry I don't mean to bring anybody down. Anyway all those people on Flt 93 are heroes. Wish they could of brought the plane down. Anyway lets think happy thoughts Bangs clowns should be hatching shortly and lets all have a safe and happy Thanksgiving.... Be safe all
Bob

sammystingray

stillfrodo, don't worry about bringing people down.........the stories of the the heros are almost always uplifting although sad.
Seriously, if you were truly at ground zero, and any one that claims it will be IP tacked by me for personal reasons and past bogus posts`, please share your thoughts in more detail. It isn't a happy subject, but the entire world is interested and proud of the folks who helped. Share with us my friend.....it means a lot to many to hear what happenned from those close to it.

wrassecal

The thing that gets me about this flight.......is how much I wish with all my heart they would have won and landed the plane victoriously.....
I think about that often too. That group of average citizens attempting to organzie and overcome make me very proud to be an American. It's as if they were drafted into the defense of their country and with no training were able to bring that plane down in an area where it would do the least damage to others, including the leadership of our country.

stillfrodo

Sammy,
My real job is in law enforcement. I work for the Sheriff's Dept in Suffolk County New York. My hobby or my second love is firefighting and EMS I volunteer for a small dept where I am. Most of the volunteers in my Department were NYFD. Most if not all of them were in the Rescue Specialty squads. I was assigned to a desk on 9/11 at my job when my partner called me up and told me to turn on the TV that a plane had hit the WTC. I am saying to myself how bad can this be some private plane lost its way and crashed. Imagine my horror when I saw what was happening on TV. I knew my friends were there and alot ran through my mind. Being we knew it was a terrorist attack our Sheriff immeadiately mobilized our Emergecy Services Unit in case something happened out by us. We are only located 65 miles east of manhattan and we have plum island as well as Brookhaven national lab to protect. Making sure my family was okay I turned my mind to the task at hand. An hour or so later I watched in horror as the towers came down sobbing as I knew what the loss of life would be. Later on that afternoon being there was no threat where we were I was released from my post and procceded to my volunteer FD. We crewed up an engine and a heavy rescue truck and started a convoy with other volunteer FD's from Long Island. Towards dark we found ourselves a block away from ground zero. Our truck was assigned at a hydrant and we were doing water relay to a NYFD truck. We were released around 2am only to come home to a fire bombing of a muslim deli in our volunteer dist. Over the next several days I found myself either working at the FEMA relief spots getting manpower and equiptment to ground zero or working a bucket brigade at ground zero. There would be long lines of FD police etc and we would just pass buckets of debris to be sifted through for evidence or body parts. As the days turned into weeks our volunteer dept came to the realization that our brother firemen unaccounted for were not coming home. I attended dozens of memorial services some as soon as days after the attacks. I went to services where there was no body just a coffin and maybe a picture to remember them by. Our volunteer department went on to build a memorial park for all those lost in 9/11 the children of the Oklahoma City bombing and any firefighter killed on Long Island in the line of duty. We dedicated it this year right after the weekend of 9/11. As soon as I get a chance I will take some pics and post them on this site of the park. So sammy that is my experience nothing heroic just wanted to help as so many others did. Thanks for listening. Bob