OT self stand a/c units

almarktool

Hey anyone out there have a selfstanding room air/ conditioner , not a window one ( since i have no windows in the basement ) any suggestions ? room is 17 x 17 just can't get it cooler than 75-76 down there and that is with the main unit set for 71
thanks

jim672

Mark,
I've seen them at Home Depot stores around here.
Doesn't your basement cool off during the winter? I think mine is usually between 64 and 68 degrees even with the heat that radiates from the ductwork.
None of my business but even if your area stays around 75, why is that a problem? I keep my tank between 78 and 82. I'd think with a room temp like yours, you could probably just go with no heater?
Jim

almarktool

Jim,
tank temp is not a problem just kinda warm down there for me to be sitting due to the heat the 2 tanks put off, a 200 and a 72 totall around 1000 watts of pc bulbs alone, and then when we decide to turn on the 65" tv, with the home thearter then we got 2 300 watt amps that fire up ,
there is only 2 vents down there both stink due to location plus the 72 gal tank kinda blocks the return duct, so that doesn't help have 2 fans which help a bit but they also contribute to the heat as well, if some reason the 4 overhead lights are on then forget it , i am not really figuring i will need heat at all but to be honest i might need the a/c in the winter time not sure def need it now

jim672

Mark,
Ohhhh......a 65" TV, huh? Wow!!
Anyway, I have seen them at Home Depot. I believe the unit I saw was around $600. I don't recall the BTU but think it was rated to cool a real good sized room. Finding one now might be a bit problematic though............
Jim

almarktool

yeah i figured it might be tuff with summer ending or on the other hand i might get lucky and will find one on sale :cool: